2011 Sti Power Steering Problem........Broken pump?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 2011 Sti Power Steering Problem........Broken pump? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Purchased a 2011 sti only has 16k miles. At the time when I made my purchase, I already noticed thepowersteeringwas ...

2011 Sti Power Steering Problem........Broken pump?

Purchased a 2011 sti only has 16k miles. At the time when I made my purchase, I already noticed thepowersteeringwas hard to turn when the car was not moving. Since I got a great deal on the car, i was thnking I maybe able to fix the issue by changing thepower steeringfluid. I changed the fluid but no luck. I also took the car to dealership see if they can fix it, but they denied the warranty work since I have coilover, swaybar and catback in the car. Dealership tried to tell me that the stiff steering is caused by my whiteline swaybar and kartboy endlink.................I didn't argue with them since they didn't charge me any money. Mypowersteeringpump has no leak, and I don't see any bubble in the reservior.

Here is the problem: when my car is cold, thepower steeringis perfect with no issue at all, but once it warms up l, it's hard to turn when the car is not moving. If I try to turn all the way to one side, it gets harder and steering wheel shakes a little bit sometime. Do you think it's time for a new pump even my car has such low miles....? If I want to have a new pump to be installed, beside the pump,are there any more parts or any fluids I need for the installation?
    Thanks for helping

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Check front pressures and even alignment after making sure the steering joints are OK. If there is a whine check the belt. I bet the dealer wasn't all that wrong; I suspect suspension may not be helping.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    One way to wreck a pump in a few moments is doing doughnuts at full lock, but if you've not done that then see above. Pump should be new as you say. Odd.
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Check front pressures and even alignment after making sure the steering joints are OK. If there is a whine check the belt. I bet the dealer wasn't all that wrong; I suspect suspension may not be helping.
    What i don't understand is why it's so hard to turn when the car warms up, but no issue at all from cold start......

I Support ClubWRX
    Hm... I wonder then if temp and pump pressure are related. I tend to suspect the pump itself last but that may be bias.

i read somewhere that a guy was having problems turning his wheel because the top hat on his coils were a little messed up, i don't know if that would be it?? just an idea

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.