Low compression

This is a discussion on Low compression within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So according to my agency I had them run a diagnostics on my car and they said I have no ...

Exclamation Low compression

So according to my agency I had them run a diagnostics on my car and they said I have no compression on one of my cylinders so they are going to have to Oder a used engine for 5gs plus 2gs for labor. Any ideas ?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    What currency are you talking about?

What car are you talking about?

If it's USD and a 2002, don't do it.

The answer changes with different currencies and models, so it'd be better if you specified.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

2007 Subaru wrx 2.5 turbo hatchback used motor unknown mileage on the motor

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    What currency are you talking about?

What car are you talking about?

If it's USD and a 2002, don't do it.

The answer changes with different currencies and models, so it'd be better if you specified.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernywrx08 View Post
    2007 Subaru wrx 2.5 turbo hatchback used motor unknown mileage on the motor
    I tend to assume US currency... but you did not specify it in response to SD_GR's questions.

I'd hope they did a leak down test. While a compression test shows a problem, a leak down test should identify where it is. If the valves are okay, you would ideally be okay with a new shortblock (~$3k USD if I recall correctly). A used engine for $5k is not a good idea, in my opinion. It's in unknown condition and will be replacing parts that you do not need replaced.

Also, if it is an 07, I would suggest fixing the root cause after the engine replacement. I suspect modifications have been done without corresponding engine management, but I have no evidence to base that on. Either way, I would look to fix the problem at hand ASAP after the engine ordeal is resolved.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

^Man preaches gospel.

I wouldn't pay that loot for an unknown used engine.

IIRC, you can get a new shortblock from Subaru for near $5k anyway!!! Da fuq?
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    A new short block from Subaru is $2000.

Subaru at EDO Performance
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I agree with the group, 5k is just to much for a used engine. Heck, if you do a quick search on Google for JDM Subaru engines you get all kinds for $1000 for a basic 2.0T to $4500 for a full blown STI version!
    -Phillip
    2013 WRX STI WRB