Chevron Delo 5w-40 - 2010 WRX Results

This is a discussion on Chevron Delo 5w-40 - 2010 WRX Results within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hello all, long time lurker here. I purchased this car back in May 2012 and use it as a highway ...

Chevron Delo 5w-40 - 2010 WRX Results

Hello all, long time lurker here. I purchased this car back in May 2012 and use it as a highway commuter car, family trips etc. While doing my own oil research, I remembered there were not many UOAs for the Chevron Delo 5w-40.

My latest is attached. Same oil used always, but I noticed I had lifter noise on cold start up even with adequate oil levels with the last change. Car is parked in my garage - level surface. I am a bit apprehensive going out to 9,000 miles as Blackstone suggested because of the lifter noise when I hit around ~6,700 miles on the oil. Maybe it was coincidental? Regardless, I am happy with getting 6,500 out of oil.

Filters used:
    1st analysis - standard sized Purolator Classic
    2nd analysis - longer sized Purolator Pure one (P14610)
    3rd analysis - longer zied Purolator Classic L14610
    4th analysis - same L14610

The pure one filter seemed to do nothing, so I went back to the classic. I'm spending right at $30 an oil change (Wal-Mart). Car has an AEM fenderwell intake and Cobb Stage 1 flash, v3.1. Car isn't beaten/raced but my wife or I do not drive it conservatively either.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMPREZA_062013_UOA.jpg  
    Last edited by BruceBDowns; 07-14-2013 at 04:07 AM.
    -2010 WRX
    |AEM Intake|Cobb Stage 1|

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Very competent oil in my view, and excellent filter given that you do not use the authentic Subaru intake.

I will add the Chevron to the list of oils I'd not hesitate to use (I shop 0W-40 or 5W-40 M1, or 5W-40 Shell T6 based solely on price because their data are all excellent).

Thanks VERY much for posting data! Extremely useful post.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Thats for posting, I use the very same oil. Opposite of you, the oil has quiet my lifter noise.

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm impressed and pleasantly surprised with the Si numbers given the AEM intake.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    I'm impressed and pleasantly surprised with the Si numbers given the AEM intake.
    The first oil analysis shown above was with the stock intake, but with an AEM dryflow panel filter. What's odd to me is the silicon levels on the second analysis, which had the pure one filter. One would assume that oil filter would do the better job over the classic oil filter.
    -2010 WRX
    |AEM Intake|Cobb Stage 1|

I Support ClubWRX
    The very act of changing the filter can affect Si measured since the system is exposed to unfiltered atmosphere.