chirping noise at idle, gets faster with rpms

This is a discussion on chirping noise at idle, gets faster with rpms within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; my car is straight stock minus a turboxs catback. Lately I've been noticing a chirping noise at idle that speeds ...

chirping noise at idle, gets faster with rpms

my car is straight stock minus a turboxs catback. Lately I've been noticing a chirping noise at idle that speeds up when the rpms increase and it's been getting louder since I bought the car. If anyone is familiar with the high pressure fuel pump chirping noise in the FRS and BRZ, it sounds a lot like that...so first guess was to even see if I had the same part. For those who do not know what it sounds like, here it is. Any thoughts on what it is or even where to start? the sound sounds like it's coming from the same area where the high pressure fuel pump is located on the BRZ and FRS

FR-S & BRZ High Pressure Fuel Pump Cricket Noise - YouTube

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

i had a problem like that recently. the problem was a bearing in one of the pulleys. swapped in a new pulley and it was gone. cheap part too if that's your problem..

hopefully a nice easy baring if that. it would suck if its a cam gear bearing

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm hearing this sound already in my BRZ. Trying to decide if I care. Apparently they'll put a new one in, but it will just start chirping again after a while.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Are you all talking about the a/c compressor chirp or that deep down valve tap sound? Try turning the compressor off and see if the sound continues.

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I'm hearing this sound already in my BRZ. Trying to decide if I care. Apparently they'll put a new one in, but it will just start chirping again after a while.
    you should at least get it replaced...they might actually have an updated fuel pump that doesn't die after the first week of owning it.

no its not the compressor, I looked this morning and found it to be on the power steering pump side but its not the pump, so figured its the pulley. I removed the belt and spun the pulley and it was making a clicking sound. I don't believe that is supposed to do that and think that's the problem. my next question is what are the chances of it jst being the pulley and not internal to the pump...just so I know what needs replacing. I don't want to have to buy an entire pump and pulley if I don't have to...rather just a pulley.