Dead zone isnt at 12 o'clock?

This is a discussion on Dead zone isnt at 12 o'clock? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hello All, I'm having some issues with my steering in my 2012 WRX premium and I'm at a loss for ...

Dead zone isnt at 12 o'clock?

Hello All,

I'm having some issues with my steering in my 2012 WRX premium and I'm at a loss for what it is. The Issue is this: When driving down the road, the steering wheel is slightly cocked to the right, it is in line with the steering column plastic, which is slightly off. It almost feels like the entire dead-zone has been shifted to the right. When I turn the car right, it takes much more input and experiences more body roll than if I turn to the left. Turning left feels okay with a firm steering response in both the wheel and on the road.

I recently had an alignment done and new tires mounted and balanced. I went back to the shop where the work was done, and spoke directly with the master tech who did the work. My family has been going to this garage for over 15 years, and I have full confidence in their mechanical abilities. However, they are not "performance oriented" in any way, so little things like "my steering is off 3 degrees" doesn't resound with them.

Anyhow, the alignment is pretty good, the car does not pull and drives dead straight. The only thing is one of the tires is at -0.01 toe, and the caster is fairly far out of where it should be.... It is also important to note that I am planning on replacing my front struts in the near future, as they are feeling a bit soft. The only mod done to the car is a SPT strut bar, installed by the dealer.

So I guess my question is, what is causing this? Is it the fact the wheel is just not centered? or Could it be soft struts? Caster?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    It has to do with the position the wheel is at when the alignment is done. My car is the same way: I didn't completely zero the wheel out during the alignment... it takes a little getting used to, but it's fine.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

mine was the exact same way. slightly off to the right, but in line with the crooked column plastic right from day 1. it annoyed the hell outta me

so i made the dealer fix it to my liking. it took 3 trips but they finally got it right. they need to get the toe to as close to 0.00 as possible if i remember correctly. think there is a +/-0.05 leway in the toe specs for "normal" but that small amount makes all the difference. at least it did to my car.
    2013 wrx sedan-SOLD(awaiting 2015/16 Mustang)

2005 Mustang GT
    Racecar! Borla Stingers, Pypes x-pipe, Airaid Intake, FR Lowering Springs, Steeda Tri-Ax
    Previous faist cars: '02 RSX-S, '91 SR20 240sx, '85 300zx turbo

I Support ClubWRX
    One of two issues at play here:

1. Your wheel wasn't 100% straight when the shop aligned it. To give you an idea, your 3 degrees translates into about 1/8 turn on each tie rod which is hard to meter when you are under there. Not to mention when you tighten the jam nuts on the tie rods, they can move a smidge.

Its well within facotry specs and will do nothing other than annoy you.

2. Your camber is set at dead even across the front instead of a slight negative pass side bias, as is common to account for road crown.

Either way to fix:

Essentially if you turn the wheel left so that the steering is "dead straight", your left wheel is pointed the absoulte smallest amount to the left as is your right wheel. You would adjust both tie rods evenly starting at the drivers side. You would need to tighten the Drivers side tie rod to bring it in to center, and loosen the pass side one to move it ever so slightly out.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

My car is the exact same from the factory, off a touch to the right...it annoys the hell outta me! I was thinking about taking it back to the dealer too. Glad too hear I'm not the only one.

I just bought my 13 and it's pulling to the right. I'll be at the Dealership on Monday to get it fixed.

It's good to know that "NORMAL" is a WRX that drives straight!

thanks,
    Phillip

Alright guys! I appreciate all of the responses!
    I talked a little more with the guys down at the shop, and the plan from here is i'm gonna leave him a tape mark on the column and steering wheel so that when they do the alignment with my new struts, he'll just line it up how I want.

1. Your wheel wasn't 100% straight when the shop aligned it. To give you an idea, your 3 degrees translates into about 1/8 turn on each tie rod which is hard to meter when you are under there. Not to mention when you tighten the jam nuts on the tie rods, they can move a smidge.

Its well within facotry specs and will do nothing other than annoy you.
    This sounds like the most likely of the 2. I have owned this car for less than a year, and I have put 42,200 Miles on it. I'm behind the wheel enough that little things like that drive me nuts! haha

Anyways, thanks for the help and peace of mind.

I Support ClubWRX
    No prob.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Took the car to Stivers Subaru this morning and they found that my car was out of alignment from the factory. Fix it and now it drives great!

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo8u2 View Post
    I just bought my 13 and it's pulling to the right. I'll be at the Dealership on Monday to get it fixed.

It's good to know that "NORMAL" is a WRX that drives straight!

thanks,
    Phillip
    -Phillip
    2013 WRX STI WRB

My 13 does the same thing. The wheel is slightly to the right. The alignment feels right on to me and I don't plan on getting it looked at. It has to with the position of the wheel at alignment like zax said. The alignment tech at the factory must have been in a hurry to get out on a Friday afternoon and was probably a little sloppy when he locked the steering wheel in place to do the alignment.