2006 WRX burning massive oil. - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on 2006 WRX burning massive oil. within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; What places could oil get into the intercooler? When I look my I/C after swapping back to my known good ...

What places could oil get into the intercooler? When I look my I/C after swapping back to my known good TD04, I found the same oil puddles at the end of the turbo and in the Intercooler and it's still burning oil, just not nearly as bad.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Bucket View Post
    What places could oil get into the intercooler? When I look my I/C after swapping back to my known good TD04, I found the same oil puddles at the end of the turbo and in the Intercooler and it's still burning oil, just not nearly as bad.
    The crankcase breather uses your turbo inlet pipe as a vacuum source. So the turbo, intercooler, etc should all contain trace amounts of oil, at least as I understand it.

Quote Originally Posted by bbrock171 View Post
    The crankcase breather uses your turbo inlet pipe as a vacuum source. So the turbo, intercooler, etc should all contain trace amounts of oil, at least as I understand it.
    So, I should probably take all that apart and clean it. One thing I noticed after swapping turbos, every time my BOV Released air under boost, It would produce a puff of smoke.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    In the meantime, you should perform a compression test in all 4 cylinders.
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Ideal -- if you can call it that -- scenario is that the compression test comes back fine, allowing you to more strongly suspect the turbo rather than the engine. Good luck.
    Time for a compression test.
    I don't know how to put this kindly, but I've strongly offered a next step TWICE as has SD_GR once. I'm not sure why you continue to ask questions. Compression test first, then as questions.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I don't know how to put this kindly, but I've strongly offered a next step TWICE as has SD_GR once. I'm not sure why you continue to ask questions. Compression test first, then as questions.
    Yeah, definitely listen to Zax and others. It's possible you're getting lots of blow-by, which makes its way back into the intake tract through the crankcase breather, which might account for your puff of smoke from the BOV.

I'm dealing with the same symptoms as we speak. Compression test today revealed my #2 cylinder is toast, just days after completing my 20G build. I don't think taking your IC apart to clean the oil out is a good use of your time. It will come right back within a day or two.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12