Turning noises

This is a discussion on Turning noises within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'm new to the wrx so this is coming out of no where. When I turn hard it gives a ...

Turning noises

I'm new to the wrx so this is coming out of no where. When I turn hard it gives a thumping sound like its hitting something but when I turn the wheel and stop to look at it it's fine. It sounds like a bushing is out and it's metal on metal. And it's both directions. Sometimes.

If you can think of nothing let me know. I just bought this car lol

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

A little more detail about the noise might help. Take a video if you can. I know CV joints will clack clack clack as your turning.
    Find a low-mileage one-owner unmodified '04/'05 and you're golden.

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
    Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
    Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
    Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

That's what I would guess at, drive shafts and joints... 2002 with how many miles?
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

119k miles and I also think its the cv joints. The car is totally stock and it might just be that it needs some love now. Ill take a vid but it will most likely be this weekend. I work too much lol.

Check the endlinks too
    2013 SWP WRX Sedan
    Hillside, NJ
    Invidia Catless Downpipe, Custom Short Ram Intake, Self Tuned Using ECU Flash, Romraider and Tactrix

I just bought new cv axles. I really hope thats whatit is. It sounds like tht what it is and everything else looks good. Thanks guys you are awesome. And I also got my exhaust in too lol

There is some play in the axle where it connects to the tranny. I have a feeling its something else. Anything guys?

I Support ClubWRX
    It sounds like your diagnosis would be correct. This happened to my girlfriends forester a year ago. From inside there would be a metallic clicking from the front wheels while making a turn, and also, a clunk when you accelerate. Look at the axle boots and see if it is loose or damaged...this would also the lubricant to leak, and then it is just metal on metal. If it is your CV axle you would want to get that replaced very quickly, or else your axle could break.

So just replacing the axle would fix this? Or was there some othere things you havr to replace? I just bought this car 3 days ago.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 2002wagonpower View Post
    So just replacing the axle would fix this? Or was there some othere things you havr to replace? I just bought this car 3 days ago.
    Yeah bring it into a shop and they will tell you what you need. Don't let it go too long. Safety.

depending on if its just a torn boot or what, it would range from replacing the boots and relubing them up, or replacing an entire axle.
    although I cant give you a definite diagnosis, from what it sounds like...IF the noise is coming from the axle or axles, you will need to replace them simply because of te fact that its making noise, you're metal on metal, there's been some grinding going on.

Yeah I got both axles for the front. I'm going to do it tonight or maybe this weekend. If there is anyone in thenaustin area that wants to help hit me up.