Smashed front of my WRX, drives fine but new sounds...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Smashed front of my WRX, drives fine but new sounds... within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; A few months back i was driving in slippery conditions on the mountain with bad tires and ended up smashing ...

Smashed front of my WRX, drives fine but new sounds...

A few months back i was driving in slippery conditions on the mountain with bad tires and ended up smashing into a snow bank. Cracked my front bumper and my windshield washer reservoir (which btw i need to replace.. anyone have any thoughts on best way to swap this? dealership told me they would sell me one for 100... lol)

Anyways, after getting my car pushed out it actually drove fine. I've been driving it ever since. However, before this happened I never noticed much sound from my turbo, and now when i accelerate quick it's quite noticeable. So much that people even point it out. (At least i'm pretty sure it's the turbo.. its a whirling that sounds like spooling up air). Also lots of creaks and other sounds that are a bit annoying, including my chair which if i move around at all makes noises.

Should i take it to a mechanic and just have them look it all over? Would that be expensive? Anybody with any experience with this sorta thing please help me out!

Thanks for reading all

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Does the "turbo" sound occur at all speeds no matter how much throttle you give it (for example cruising at 30)? If so, it is probably just air coming into the crack in the front of the car. Is the car still under warranty? Have them take a look at it. There really would be little chance that hitting a snowbank would damage your turbo, unless of course you were traveling very fast when it happened, but I gather that wasn't the case considering you only cracked the bumper. Either way, if you are concerned by all means, yes get it looked at.

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    Does the "turbo" sound occur at all speeds no matter how much throttle you give it (for example cruising at 30)? If so, it is probably just air coming into the crack in the front of the car. Is the car still under warranty? Have them take a look at it. There really would be little chance that hitting a snowbank would damage your turbo, unless of course you were traveling very fast when it happened, but I gather that wasn't the case considering you only cracked the bumper. Either way, if you are concerned by all means, yes get it looked at.
    No, the sound is very sensitive to the amount of acceleration i give. It's most apparent when I really step on it at 4k+

I Support ClubWRX
    Hmm...it's possible that you damaged your intake box in the crash. That would cause the turbo sound to be more noticeable.

Funny you mention that, today on a completely unrelated level I went to check my air filter and noticed that when i went to put the box back together it didn't fit the way it was supposed to. Interesting...

I Support ClubWRX
    That's most likely what is causing the sound. Probably would be a good idea just have someone check it over just to make sure everything else is ok. Do you bring your car to a dealership, or DIY?

I bought my car from the dealership and go to them to have my oil changed but I try to not ask them about stuff like this, because I've never thought of dealerships as remotely trustworthy when it comes to things where I don't know all the problems and have to take the mechanics word. I did a little online homework and a mechanic pretty close to me has been called very honest and quality. What were you going to say about the dealership?

I Support ClubWRX
    I was just going to say that they could tell you if it's the intake box. Might be a good time to get an aftermarket intake and flash to stage 1

But would the dealership be able to tell me anything that a more honest service shop couldn't? Just the fact that it would be free? I thought it was stage 2 that required an intake?

I Support ClubWRX
    No I'm not saying a mechanic couldn't help you just that if you were already going to the dealer they could prob diagnose too. Actually neither stage 1 or 2 need an intake, but an intake needs a tune. Only point was if you need to buy a new intake (which you might not) it would be a good excuse to buy an aftermarket one...

Ahh i see what you're saying. I do want to flash but i need money for that first. You're referring to an accessport right? (I'm not all that knowledgeable with upgrades yet)

I Support ClubWRX
    Yep depending on which route you want to go you can load new maps with a Cobb accessport or a tactrix cable and laptop. Good luck with the fix!

Does the accessport come with maps? Or do you have somebody make maps for you? For example, I buy the accessport then at another time buy other performance parts that require tuning, how do you rig that up?

And thanks! Shouldn't be too big a problem. Except for the fact that I still gotta replace my cracked bumper.. lol

I Support ClubWRX
    What year is the car? If equipped, you could have knocked the snorkus loose. That would definitely add more spool noise (I removed mine for exactly that reason).

If you have the ability to datalog, check you're A/F Learning values. You might have an intake leak further down the intake tract.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

I Support ClubWRX
    Ap comes with free Cobb maps. You can go up to stage 2 on these off the shelf maps. If you buy it from perrin you get their maps too. Or a pro tuner can load a custom map on the ap for you. Ap also is easy for data logging to make sure things are running safe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast