02 WRX Exhaust Issues

This is a discussion on 02 WRX Exhaust Issues within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; After a long a painful process of repairing and replacing a lot of parts in my WRX, I have finally ...

02 WRX Exhaust Issues

After a long a painful process of repairing and replacing a lot of parts in my WRX, I have finally got this thing working. I am now just looking for some advice on one last repair I have to make before relocating to a new state.

The car was purchased with some sort of aftermarket catless downpipe. In my current state this isn't an issue and honestly I can live with the cel it produces, but I am about to move to a state that does cel Checks and a sniffer test. With this catless downpipe I figure I would fail such a test, so flashing the ECU wouldn't fix my problem alone. Anyone have any experience with this? Also If I go ahead and replace the downpipe, any ideas on where I could pick up a stock downpipe with cat (I hear tell of a magic place that has them available for fairly cheap)? Or is it possible that an exhaust shop may be able to add a cat to the existing downpipe, and if so how do I know which cat I need for the downpipe (front or back)?

I apologize in advance, prior to buying this WRX I knew nothing about cars. Nothing at all. I learned a bit, but now that I am looking at the exhaust I am quite a bit lost.

Any help is appreciated!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Whether it will pass with a cat added in will depend on the kind of testing they will do in the county you are moving to. In my experience emission testing varies county by county.

As far as finding stock exhaust for cheap, look for used on nasioc classifieds, or maybe even eBay. I would imagine that anything new will be stupidly expensive.