HID High-Beam Problem
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on HID High-Beam Problem within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hello everyone, I recently bought an '03 WRX which had a Xentec HID system installed by the previous owner. Both ...

HID High-Beam Problem

Hello everyone,

I recently bought an '03 WRX which had a Xentec HID system installed by the previous owner. Both low beams light up, but only the passenger-side high beam will light up. I tried putting the known working bulb in the drivers side headlight, in addition to completely replacing both bulbs, and I still cannot get the high beam to work on the driver's side. I checked what fuses I thought would be applicable and nothing turned up. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I'm hoping I don't have to rip out the entire wiring and ballasts and start over, but will do it if necessary. Thank you all!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Sounds like a POS HID system and poor wiring. Do you have a multimeter?
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I do not, but it's starting to look like a good investment. I'm assuming I should check it with the multimeter and see if I'm either getting the right voltage or zero voltage? Is it too difficult to just install a new HID kit from scratch?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by musclemuffins
    I do not, but it's starting to look like a good investment. I'm assuming I should check it with the multimeter and see if I'm either getting the right voltage or zero voltage? Is it too difficult to just install a new HID kit from scratch?
    A multimeter will help expose any electrical issues that you're having, in which case, you can proceed from there. They aren't all that expensive, either:
    Craftsman Digital Multimeter: Meter at KMart

Plug&Play HID kits are not legal, nor are they typically an "upgrade". In order to properly convert to HIDs, you need to retrofit your housings, which is somewhat involved. For some HID information, see below:
    Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

At this point I think I just want to replace both of the entire headlights with "halo" headlights, and completely remove the HID kit that the previous owner installed. I was hoping I could just yank the kit out and put OEM bulbs in, but the original headlight connectors were chopped off to make way for the HID kit. Any suggestions at this point? pics below
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image2.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	92.3 KB 
ID:	114760
    Also, I'm unsure what this cable connects to? Any ideas?

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	66.2 KB 
ID:	114761

After tearing apart the wiring job I realized just how bad this thing was slapped together. I basically took the whole thing out, bought OEM bulbs and connectors, and reconnected everything. Below is a pic of two wires that were smooshed together and held together by electric tape... I'm afraid what else like this is hiding in my car.

Name:	IMG_1533.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	88.5 KB 
ID:	114830

Quote Originally Posted by musclemuffins View Post
    After tearing apart the wiring job I realized just how bad this thing was slapped together. I basically took the whole thing out, bought OEM bulbs and connectors, and reconnected everything. Below is a pic of two wires that were smooshed together and held together by electric tape... I'm afraid what else like this is hiding in my car.

Name:	IMG_1533.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	88.5 KB 
ID:	114830
    That brought a tear to my eye.. why anyone would think thats acceptable to do is beyond me. Here's hoping that the previous owner didn't touch anything else.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.