boosting issue...(02 STI)

This is a discussion on boosting issue...(02 STI) within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; ok so last 4-6 weeks I have been getting a strange noise when the boost kicks in...no more nice whistle, ...

boosting issue...(02 STI)

ok so last 4-6 weeks I have been getting a strange noise when the boost kicks in...no more nice whistle, rather it sounds like a leaking exhaust (screwed airflow), and also it feels like the boost isn't at its full potential...the car doesn't really kick as much =[ however when the car is not boosting then it runs perfect...

2 mechanics have looked over it and found NO leaks in any part of the exhaust...however 1 did highly possibly find a petrol leak.

could this petrol leak be the cause of this? if anyone can suggest anything else it may be (turbo issue? etc) pls comment!
    Last edited by gorecki-STI; 06-27-2013 at 01:24 AM.
    when love of power... overcomes the power of STi, the world will see peace

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Fix the fuel problem. Check for vacuum and boost leaks again. Check the fuel pressure regulator.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

None in the exhaust you say...so start looking pre and post turbo for leaks.

And also fix the fuel problem.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

fuel pressure regulator?
    will this tell me (certain) if I got a petrol leak? my mechanic has only had a rough look so far so just estimating ATM.

Im getting it checked through another good mechanic on Tuesday so I shall update then.
    when love of power... overcomes the power of STi, the world will see peace

Quote Originally Posted by gorecki-STI View Post
    fuel pressure regulator?
    will this tell me (certain) if I got a petrol leak? my mechanic has only had a rough look so far so just estimating ATM.

Im getting it checked through another good mechanic on Tuesday so I shall update then.
    Its just a common place for a fuel leak. If your car is relatively older as well, fuel lines my also be prone to cracks, causing leaks.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying