Strange clicking noise with my 2013 WRX
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Strange clicking noise with my 2013 WRX within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey everyone, I just picked up a 2013 5-door WRX premium last week, and I am currently in the "breaking-in ...

Strange clicking noise with my 2013 WRX

Hey everyone,

I just picked up a 2013 5-door WRX premium last week, and I am currently in the "breaking-in period." Don't get me wrong, the car is incredible, but it sucks driving it like a grandma...I'm keeping the RPMs between 2 - 3 k in every gear for the first 1000 miles, and then changing the oil, and then letting it rip!

Anyways, I've literally put about 200 miles on the car, and have noticed something very strange over the last 3 days. Let me give an example...

When I turn off my car I leave it in first gear; I've noticed that when I start my car in the morning, put it in reverse, back out onto the road, put it in first, give it gas, and let off the clutch, that a quick clicking/rattling noise happens as I disengage the clutch/engage the gas. That was a bit wordy, but basically when I go from reverse to first, a rattle/clicking noise is made when I let off the clutch fully.

What's strange is that is the ONLY time the clutch makes that noise -- it does not happen when I then shift from first to second, or second to third, or third to second. It seems to only happen the first time I go from reverse to first. I've tried out other circumstances, and it doesn't happen. Let's say that it just made that noise, and I'm in first gear...I then proceed to stop the car, put it in reverse, and then put it back into first...as I disengage the clutch fully there is no noise. So I've localized it to the first time you go from reverse to first.

Another strange thing is that this only happens after letting the car sit for the day. For instance, if the car is parked while I am at work it will make this noise when I back out and go from reverse to first, but it will not make this noise if I then let the car sit for 20 minutes, and then go from reverse to first. Another peculiar thing is that it does not happen if I let me car sit for the day, and do not go from reverse to first. Say I back in when I park my car, and simply drive straight out...I notice that the clutch does not make this clicking noise. Basically it only happens when I let the car sit for, at a minimum, 2 hours, and then go from reverse to first.

I scheduled an appointment with the dealership already, but I figured I'd reach out to you all first...some input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Frank

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome.

Its nothing to worry about. The basic consensus is that this is the hill start disengaging. I have the same thing happen on both my cars.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

I Support ClubWRX
    Hill assist can be disabled on the STI.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

I Support ClubWRX
    Sorry for the thread jack.

Quote Originally Posted by RySTI View Post

Go on
    To activate/deactivate the Hill start assist system (STI only***)

CAUTION
    While the Hill start assist system is deactivated, when starting on an uphill grade, braking power is not maintained if the brake pedal is released. Start on an uphill grade by using the parking brake. You can activate/deactivate the Hill start assist system according to the following procedure.

! To deactivate
    1. Stop your vehicle in a flat and safe place and apply the parking brake.
    2. Turn off the engine.
    3. Restart the engine.
    4. Confirm the following items.
    . The ABS warning light turns off.
    . The Vehicle Dynamics Control OFF indicator light turns off.
    . The Brake system warning light illuminates.
    5. Press the Vehicle Dynamics Control mode switch and hold it until the Vehicle Dynamics Control OFF indicator light turns off. The Vehicle Dynamics Control OFF indicator light will illuminate in green, change to yellow, remain illuminated in yellow for several seconds and then turn off.
    6. Within 5 seconds after the Vehicle Dynamics Control OFF indicator light turns off, release the Vehicle Dynamics Control mode switch.
    7. Within 2 seconds after releasing the Vehicle Dynamics Control mode switch, press the Vehicle Dynamics Control mode switch once again. Then the Hill start assist OFF indicator light illuminates.
    8. Turn off the engine.
    9. Restart the engine. While the Hill start assist system is deactivated, the Hill start assist OFF indicator light illuminates continuously.

! To activate
    When the procedure to deactivate the Hill start assist system is performed again, the system is activated. When the Hill start assist system is activated, the Hill start assist OFF indicator light turns off.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

I think it's the hill assist! I've been looking for a way to disable it for me. I really don't like it. Kinda screws with the way I drive.
    How does it screw up your driving? If you engage the clutch for 3-5 seconds it disables the hill assist. Not quite sure how that screws up your driving as it is a benefit more then anything.

Nice STI tho

Thanks guys! From what I've gathered it's probably nothing, but better safe than sorry! Can't wait for winter driving! From what I hear the car is a tank in the snow (upstate NY snow!).

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by fg8819 View Post
    Can't wait for winter driving! From what I hear the car is a tank in the snow (upstate NY snow!).
    As long as you are on winter tires.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

definitely...do you have any that you suggest for the wrx?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by fg8819 View Post
    definitely...do you have any that you suggest for the wrx?
    Depends on what you want. Your driving conditions & budget. Performance/studless snow/studded snow. Check out tire rack. Just enter the model & you will find many options.

I personally have the General Altimax studless snow tires.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

Hill assist is for Nancy's
    Nancy sounds like a smart lady.

Registered User Subaru-Mopar-Luv's Avatar
    Hahahaha ^^^^
    Speed never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you. -Jeremy Clarkson

Bugeye Mafia Member #419

I think it's the hill assist! I've been looking for a way to disable it for me. I really don't like it. Kinda screws with the way I drive.
    Let me know when you find a way....I hate that damn thing. There is no need for it. They're starting to build these cars directed towards a different genre of driver and I don't like it. My 06 STi was much more of a performance machine than my 2012. I regret my trading it in daily.
    "Hey Derik, do you know whats good for shoulder pain?"

I get a similar noise after taking off from first in the morning. But, it comes from the rear of the vehicle. I read that it is the ABS self test. Could this be what you are hearing?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.