Seized my bugeye

This is a discussion on Seized my bugeye within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Last night as I was driving I noticed a sudden drop in power, and a big hiccup from the motor. ...

Seized my bugeye

Last night as I was driving I noticed a sudden drop in power, and a big hiccup from the motor. After that the motor died, and I coasted into a parking lot. The starter clicks, but the motor won't turn over. I checked all the small things that I could in a parking lot with a hot engine. Accessory belts are fine, plenty of fuel, no leaks of fluid, tranny seems fine, plenty of oil, not overheating, no CEL or dash lights.

The car was towed to a local mechanic where I am waiting for a diagnosis. I am assuming the timing belt snapped on me. I know that this means a rather large repair bill. The worst part is that I just had the heads machined and new valves put in a year ago. At the time I did not have the mechanic change out the timing belt, as the small dealership I bought the car from specifically said they replaced the belt and water pump (about 28k miles ago if they told the truth).

If it does turn out to be that I need new valves, pistons, etc.. what would be the best option for reliability and price. Would it be better to get a rebuild kit and have everything replaced/machined as necessary, or finding a used engine to swap in? Having bought the car 2 years ago I owe more than I can get selling it with a seized motor, so I would like to fix it and keep it.

If it helps I have an '02 wagon, 5speed, stage 2 Cobb OTS, Invidia catted down/Borla Hush 3" cat back, Cobb SF intake, 122k.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I would have to imagine that your best option would be to find a relatively low mileage motor and swap it out.

My main reason for saying this is that several years ago I found a solid rebuildable 68 400 motor for my 68 Firebird. I decided to build myself up a real solid motor. I bored it .030 over had the block decked, line bored, new crank, pistons, ect. When all was said and done, my machine shop gave me back a sweet 400 shortblock and then I assembled the rest and dropped it into my car.

The point of all this is that the machine work, the parts, and all the little stuff can add up. By the time all was said and done I had over $6K in my motor.
    Greg
    2002 WRX wagon bone stock 57,000 original miles
    68 Firebird 428, 4 speed, 12 bolt rear w 3:73 gears
    29 Ford Pickup 350, Tremec 5 speed, 9" rear 3:89 gears

Thanks for the advice. I am leaning on getting a used motor, and swapping it in myself. Turns out that I slipped a bearing and the block and internals are pretty toasted.

Finding a low mileage motor for a price that is reasonable is harder than one would think. Time to scour the forums for used motors!