Turbo issues...
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Turbo issues... within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hellow clubwrx. I really wanted my first post to be in the new member's hangout. I have read and read ...

Turbo issues...

Hellow clubwrx. I really wanted my first post to be in the new member's hangout. I have read and read on the forums and appreciate the information from everyone!

I bought a 2012 WRX, about 3 weeks ago with just under 20k on it. My first turbo and my first AWD. I've had tons of questions answered on here, through tons of reading.

Today I noticed my turbo was not spooling. I rarely have situations where I get it over 3k, so I have no idea how long the spool has been gone. After dinner I jumped on the interstate so I could get the revs up and verify it was really gone. It has been hot and humid and I thought maybe that was just affecting the sound. No spool sound at all, all the way up to 5k.

As I got off the interstate I ran it back up, in second gear and just before the red light I could hear a very loud high pitched sound. Maybe like bearings, instead of spool. There was no grinding noise, just a very short loud whistle/whine. I took off from the red light and between 4-5 k, it made that sound through all 3 gears.

Bummer. New car.

Any thoughts? TIA.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    That's what a warranty is for...take it into the dealership
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by seeweed View Post
    man - thats how you get to 18k posts right there - quick-fire b.s. So, what were the symptoms? No spool you say - no spool sound or no spool ie. I don't have power, man! This heated weather can do trix - anybody else have hot and humid weather tales or further insight?

duff
    No, you get there from giving really good knowledge to the forum. He is correct. If the car is under warranty just take it in, that is why warranties exist.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

I Support ClubWRX
    man - thats how you get to 18k posts right there
    You'd be lucky to get advice from EJ.

If it is under warranty (2012, should be) you want to take it to the dealer because if there is a problem, you want it documented.

If you tinker with it instead or have it fixed elsewhere, how do you prove the problem was there before you tried to fix it.
    Last edited by Shoopster; 06-25-2013 at 10:23 PM. Reason: temporarily forgot my manners.
    -Stephanie 2004 WRB WRX | Blobeye Syndicate Member #104
    "I can't see the Shoopster from here; I'll wait for you outside."
    Shoopsterbuild 2.1: Better than it was before. Better, stronger, faster. Now with premium 'menu' option!

I Support ClubWRX
    +3

All Subarus are covered by a 36k mile/ 3 yr warranty. Since the OP has just under 20k, take it to the dealer.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

I Support ClubWRX
    man - thats how you get to 18k posts right there - quick-fire b.s. So, what were the symptoms? No spool you say - no spool sound or no spool ie. I don't have power, man! This heated weather can do trix - anybody else have hot and humid weather tales or further insight?

duff
    How you get to 18,000 posts is continually answering the same stupid questions we do day in and day out for the better of the community and then come back on here and deal with people like you who combat a perfectly good quick no BS response. People like you is what makes being this forums moderators so god damn difficult. Shut your mouth, go back to reading and if you want to speak to moderators like that again, feel free to leave the website. Consider that your warning.

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

man - thats how you get to 18k posts right there - quick-fire b.s. So, what were the symptoms?
    Please do not judge or have assumptions.
    \_(ツ)_/
    Kunal - Ordered 2015 DGM WRX
    Photographer | Dancer | Tech Nerd | The Stink-Eye Mob #7
    First Mods: What and what not to do
    2011+ Big Mod Thread
    How to Buy a Used WRX or STI
    Complete USED WRX Buying Checklist

What a welcome aboard! Maybe my herrafrush questions would have sent us through 8 pages of reasonable advice.

I'm 37 years old and I've known what a warranty was for since I was probably 11. But, in those 37 years, I've had dealers try to screw me around through every experience of an automobile. I guess the experience for subaru owners is different.

I simply wanted to get some input from a forum full of people who hopefully had some insight about turbos so I would not seem like a 17 year old blond taking my car in for service. The same dealer who offered me 10k less than book on my trade in.

Sorry for the same ol' stupid questions. Sorry to anyone without a warranty who runs across this thread with the same question/symptoms.

I Support ClubWRX
    Mernin' Punky!

We all wigged out at seaweed's disrespecting a moderator in his very first post.

If anyone has another suggestion for ya, you'll know soon enough... it's early yet. Dealer/warranty is just the fastest/easiest route (we like those.) unless you'd prefer to spend your time searching for exhaust leaks and whatever else could possibly be wrong... just to end up taking it to the dealer anyways.

I'm sure we'd love to know what the dealership diagnoses, and then folks in here can tell you if he's full of it or what

And that would be useful for future generations too
    -Stephanie 2004 WRB WRX | Blobeye Syndicate Member #104
    "I can't see the Shoopster from here; I'll wait for you outside."
    Shoopsterbuild 2.1: Better than it was before. Better, stronger, faster. Now with premium 'menu' option!

Quote Originally Posted by Shoopster View Post
    Mernin' Punky!

We all wigged out at seaweed's disrespecting a moderator in his very first post.

I'm sure we'd love to know what the dealership diagnoses, and then folks in here can tell you if he's full of it or what

And that would be useful for future generations too
    Morning! Wow, I did not know that was a moderator telling me what a warranty was for! And you are exactly right - I will update the post after the dealer. It is a long ride, taking off work, getting a babysitter, etc. But I think this morning's drive re-confirmed I am not imagining it. I was hoping to hear that if boost was affected, I would have a dummy light - it's your mind and the humidity messing with you, or something of the sort !

Oddly enough, the car still seems to pull. I just cannot hear the turbo whine and after a bit of driving, I will get that high pitched squeal.

I Support ClubWRX
    The same ole stupid questions wasn't directed at you.

I have had warranty issues with Subaru so many times it isn't even funny.. The problem is you really just need to go down and see for yourself. Honestly, after they shrug you off, if they do, let's work on it.. Until then seriously take it in, they will be even worse about not wanting to touch the car if we have given you advice and tried to fix it first.

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    If I had to guess, I'd say the coupler between the TB and TMIC blew off.. but since I can't look at the car that's only speculation. Your best bet would be to take it in and have it looked at for free.

^ listen to the man...
    First it's got to go to the dealer and at the very least have the issue documented. Dealers are notorious about not accepting things under warranty. But it needs to be documented. My car came with a steering sensor problem, after one time resetting at the stealership, when the problem came back, they replaced the sensor under warranty. At least $250. would not have happened if it had been messed with and not documented. SO if there is warranty it needs to be going there first. In the meantime you'll just be learning more and more about the way the car works and what's normal and what's not.
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

Quote Originally Posted by T0rque View Post
    I have had warranty issues with Subaru so many times it isn't even funny.. The problem is you really just need to go down and see for yourself. Honestly, after they shrug you off, if they do, let's work on it.. Until then seriously take it in, they will be even worse about not wanting to touch the car if we have given you advice and tried to fix it first.
    I should clarify - I will not work on my own car. I did the certified pre owned 100k extended. But, I had read about "TB hose" loose, just reconnect it - that's simple enough. I don't know about the ECU and this car - my Acura had a "Turn the key to accessory, pump the gas twice, wink your left eye and put your right hip in" procedure to reset the transmission/accelerator/etc learned driving habits"

Maybe this is a service bulletin someone knows about. Maybe the repair on turbo usually requires enlistment of Subaru North America. Maybe 4 generations of this car have exhibited the same bearing noise when the washer fluid is too high.

I dunno - I've been wanting to post for 3 weeks. I guess I figured this was a great way to onboard.

I should be able to make the trip to the dealer this weekend. I will update the thread with their report. Hopefully everyone does not know that if a turbo problem exists, stop driving the car immediately or risk death by fire, and I do not know this.

Be cool.

Quote Originally Posted by PunkyBooster View Post
    I should clarify - I will not work on my own car.
    Well, I may change interior lights, etc. Not engine work work. Not for 80k more miles, anyway. By then I will probably want a buick. They still make those?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.