Turbo issues... - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Turbo issues... within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by PunkyBooster ..But, I had read about "TB hose" loose, just reconnect it - that's simple enough. I ...

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by PunkyBooster View Post
    ..But, I had read about "TB hose" loose, just reconnect it - that's simple enough. I don't know about the ECU and this car - my Acura had a "Turn the key to accessory, pump the gas twice, wink your left eye and put your right hip in" procedure to reset the transmission/accelerator/etc learned driving habits"

Maybe this is a service bulletin someone knows about. Maybe the repair on turbo usually requires enlistment of Subaru North America. Maybe 4 generations of this car have exhibited the same bearing noise when the washer fluid is too high..

The search function on the forum is invaluable. I can think of probably half a dozen other newish members posting within the last three to four weeks complaining about similar issues.. and the coupler popping off was the culprit.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by PunkyBooster
    Wow, I did not know that was a moderator telling me what a warranty was for!
    You are quite the sarcastic one. You'll fit in well here.

The car is under warranty, I wouldn't worry about it. It's likely the TB coupler, but just reconnecting is often times insufficient and you'll be dealing with the issue again. Typically, that gets replaced, which is why it's better to go to a dealership for this since you paid for it anyway.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    OP this is your thread, but I've cleaned out the BS. I expect you to treat your fellow forum members with the respect they deserve.

Matty's point is very valid. If you have an issue, we can sit on our asses all day and speculate. Or, since the car is under warranty, you can take the car to the dealership and have (whatever your ailment) repaired.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    We'll just give seeweed a little time to think about how trolling moderators isn't so great an idea.

Sorry to the OP that this got messy - you are getting the best advice any forum could offer though. Please let us know how things go at the dealer.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    Sorry to the OP that this got messy - .
    Thanks man. I took it to the dealer last week and they determined it was the TB hose that was loose. But, I still cannot hear my turbo at all. And the more I drive it, I'm pretty sure there is performance loss. I have made another appt for next wednesday to drive with a tech at the dealer.

ON my way to pick the car up from service. They kept it all day and said no error codes, no problems. He said that these cars are not like older ones and you cannot hear the turbo. He said I could only hear it previously because the hoses were off.

Should I be able to hear it? I hear nothing at all.

I think there is VERY little turbo noise with the factory set-up. That's probably why many people go with aftermarket intakes and such. Also, are you sure you know what it should sound like? Maybe you're used to hearing modified ones?
    However, mine is modified and the turbo is Very noticeable. I hear it starting at 1300 to 1500 rpm. It needs about 3.5K to really go to work, and everyone (in the car or out on the street) can hear that. But I still run the factory muffler, so the car is overall not loud at all. I just love that. You might want to look at ways to find out what's going on under the hood: Torque app with Bluetooth adapter, Romraider with Tectrix adapter, Cobb's app... Check with a search on here...
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

I Support ClubWRX
    You won't be able to hear the turbo really on the new gens unless you have modified your car. You should know if it is boosting though based on how hard the car is pulling.

Thanks for the info, Ingo and 11blackSTI. I guess the stealer was right when he said it was because the hoses were loose. Half the reason I bought the car was due to that sound! I guess I will be modding after all. Time to start reading.

I did not really know how hard it should pull. I never had a chance to get the rpm's up around town. I come from a high revving vtec v6, so I am used to some pull as the rpm's rise.

Seriously though, I was sweating this thing. I appreciate the feedback.

Ingo - I am googling those apps now. Thanks!

I Support ClubWRX
    When you push the car, around 3500 rpms, if it starts to accelerate a lot faster than from idle to 3500, then the turbo is most likely working. A good thing to have might be a boost gauge. Also, if you are thinking of modding and want the sound then go intake and stage 1 tune (specific to your intake).

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    When you push the car, around 3500 rpms, if it starts to accelerate a lot faster than from idle to 3500, then the turbo is most likely working. A good thing to have might be a boost gauge. Also, if you are thinking of modding and want the sound then go intake and stage 1 tune (specific to your intake).
    Initially, I thought a boost gauge would be one of the few mods I would do. All of this has for sure go me leaning towards a stage 1 as well. It may have been a broken car woooooosh sound, but it was a beautiful wooooosh sound.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12