I cannot give up! Engine pull.

This is a discussion on I cannot give up! Engine pull. within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hello, I have always owned Subaru, just never a WRX. pulled my engine out of my wrx I bought about ...

I cannot give up! Engine pull.

Hello, I have always owned Subaru, just never a WRX. pulled my engine out of my wrx I bought about 8 months ago. 2004 WRX ej20 VF34 Turbo, downpipe and back, STI injectors and intercooler, cobb access port, thinking I had a bad lifter or rod because of the sound. Turns out I broke a cam bearing bolt and the others were loose. I replaced/mod/added the following; the valve cover gaskets, bolts, replaced missing bolts all over, turbo gaskets copper, exhaust stainless gaskets, timing belt kit, perrin turbo inlet, new intercooler hoses, cleaned MAF, plugs irredium NGK, silicone hoses, replaced almost all hose clamps, KSTech Phenolic Thermal Intake Spacers - 3mm with top and bottom cometic intake gaskets (no leaks there), K&N air filter (tight fit but sealed good), silicone post after MAF, timing belt covers, fluids, wrapped down pipe and exaust headers, and cleaned the engine up and some I am forgetting out of frustration.. Put it back in and now.. first; power steering is whining. I replaced all of the hose clamps on the PS system and will bleed tomorrow. Maybe I need a new pump. Second; now the idle is rough and I am getting misfire on 2. So I unplug and check all grounds and connections and misfire is gone and car is running pretty smooth. Next I remove the air box and inlet to put new clamps on the PS lines, put it back together and misfires on 1 and 3. It now overheats? New thermostat still not right. Maybe hoses mixed up? I will check them a fifth time. Also, I had to remove the crank vent sensor upon installing the Perrin inlet under Perrin instrustions? Check spark gaps and connections still no luck. The engine is a rebuilt with about 70,000 on it.I have the idle air control gasket coming, I thought maybe bad gasket there. any other thoughts? Or am I missing something? I will also clean and check the cam position sensors tomorrow. Flashing misfire 1 and 3 code PFFFF and PFFFE. Compression was fine before this pull. And cams were in great shape (checked tolerances) when I went in to fix the bolts. I have been reading the technical service manual and its thousands of pages but I think I may be in over my head Not giving up. . cat delete that I am waiting to install after I fix my current mess
    Last edited by Array; 06-18-2013 at 11:54 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I have arranged it better now, than in the picture. I will update pics soon. I moved the wire harness below the turbo inlet pipe to the top ( not shown in the pic) thats when I started getting the misfire codes on 1 and 3Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wrx in.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	155.5 KB 
ID:	114620
    Last edited by Array; 06-18-2013 at 11:55 PM.

One trick I learned to make the silicone hose (post maf) fit. put the hose clamp on snug were you want to cut to make a nice straight cut.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	silicone hose trick.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	121.4 KB 
ID:	114621

Sounds like you need to burp the cooling system. Check for vacuum and boost leaks. Double check all grounding points. You will figure it out.
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

Thanks Oguitar! I do not know how I skipped over that but as soon as you said it I did remember I never burped it.So no overheat! Power Steering is improved, I will have to bleed it again, but its better. I replaced the crush washer on the pump and I am waiting for top hose O-ring. No misfires! I poked around and disconnected and reconnected lines here and there and replaced the idle air control gasket and finally no missfires! The CEL is on full time but no codes are found? Now it seems my turbo is sluggish? Do you think a tune will rid this?
    Last edited by Array; 06-20-2013 at 06:41 PM.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	final.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	144.5 KB 
ID:	114640

A tune will help if it has never been tuned. It is a necessity to get a tune when installing a new turbo. From your description I am not sure what is going on with your car. Try to give more details. Clear the CEL and see if it comes back.
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

Quote Originally Posted by Array View Post
    One trick I learned to make the silicone hose (post maf) fit. put the hose clamp on snug were you want to cut to make a nice straight cut.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	silicone hose trick.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	121.4 KB 
ID:	114621
    Sonova.... should have done that =/

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by oguitar View Post
    A tune will help if it has never been tuned. It is a necessity to get a tune when installing a new turbo. From your description I am not sure what is going on with your car. Try to give more details. Clear the CEL and see if it comes back.
    This. You have not mentioned (in that huge wall of text) whether the car has been tuned for those mods and what engine management is currently installed on the car. The mods you have listed are NOT plug and play. You need to tune!
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I am running the Cobb VF34 91 OCT MAP. I have narrowed this to a boost leak. Maybe the BCS. I just ordered a Grim bcs we will see if this is the issue. I am reading up right now on putting together a boost leak tool. Turbo spins free, wastegate and stock BOV seem to function properly but still no to little boost. Needle just kind of fluctuates. I am going to give PDXTuning a shot at the email tuning? Any one ever done this? Most of the shops here want 500 and up for a tune? I can not afford that at this point and want to make more mods down the road (sooner than later) without having to spend that kind of money on a tune each time. Any ideas?
    Last edited by Array; 06-23-2013 at 02:46 PM.

The car had been running a Cobb VF#$ 91 Octane map

I f*&^(* did it! Car runs like a champ! The lack of power, I found after days of reading and checking. TGV2 at drivers side intake. Running strong. Now time for a tune!