ticking sound coming from engine

This is a discussion on ticking sound coming from engine within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Its probably nothing but just to ask, i'm hearing a ticking sound coming from the engine I would say its ...

ticking sound coming from engine

Its probably nothing but just to ask, i'm hearing a ticking sound coming from the engine I would say its like valve ticks like when they need an adjustment, but like I said maybe im exaggerating and its just nothing and the sound is just the normal for the engine. Car is a '13 WRX with 400 miles i've been babying it since I know it needs the break-in period about 1000 miles. I have not noticed anything wrong while driving it basically drives like a new car, as far as power drops I wouldn't know because I have never taken the gas pedal over 55%.

I'm asking to save me the time and trip to go ask at the dealer, mainly because I don't really know if the sound is new or if it was there all the time, I only heard it today because I forgot my sunglasses and turned on the car and got off to go get them while the car was running.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Could be injectors. Ask at next service.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    You sure you've never hit 56% throttle opening angle? Because that's the threshold on these cars during break-in on whether they live or die...yes, i'm kidding
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Probably just hearing sounds, new cars have plastic everything now. So, this makes all of the noises the car makes that much more noticeable. Though, next time you stop by your dealer, have them look it over. You have a warranty, and it never hurts to use it. :P
    '11 WRX DGM

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    You sure you've never hit 56% throttle opening angle? Because that's the threshold on these cars during break-in on whether they live or die...yes, i'm kidding
    lol

Quote Originally Posted by Kwrxp View Post
    Probably just hearing sounds, new cars have plastic everything now. So, this makes all of the noises the car makes that much more noticeable. Though, next time you stop by your dealer, have them look it over. You have a warranty, and it never hurts to use it. :P
    Yeah, I can't hear it from inside the car so i'm thinking its just normal noises.

I Support ClubWRX
    Our cars tend to have a bit of a ticking sound. I'd follow SDs advice and ask about it the next time you're at the dealership.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Our cars tend to have a bit of a ticking sound. I'd follow SDs advice and ask about it the next time you're at the dealership.
    That. These cars makes all kinds of fun noises. Your car is brand new though, and you have a warranty. If you have a concern, ask the dealership.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

DOHC heads have a lot of ticking...valves opening and closing.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Mine even makes ticking and clicking noises after it ran and is shut down...
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

So guys the ticking sounds seem to be normal, when I heard it the car was close to a wall I think it just echoed the sound louder than what it really is, I asked the sales guy about it when he called me about some paper work, at the time he was with a tech in the area dropping off another car to a customer and the tech checked it out, he said that these cars do all those noises and that it is normal.

Just wait until next winter when you start it up on a cold morning, it'll sound like some farmers old thrashing machine... and is still normal.
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?