2004 WRX CEL - How to get code
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2004 WRX CEL - How to get code within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I was cruising on the highway at around 60MPH in Cruise control (fifth gear) and suddenly my Check Engine ...

2004 WRX CEL - How to get code

So I was cruising on the highway at around 60MPH in Cruise control (fifth gear) and suddenly my Check Engine Light came on (CEL does not blink at me). I didn't notice loss of power, no noises, car idles fine, no knocks, no smells, starts up from both cold and warm just fine, cruise control still works and I have boost, so where's the problem?!?!

I've done my fair share of research on the inter-webs and found that on older gen (late 80's - 90's) Subaru's, you can plug these two green wires (Self Diagnostic wires) together, unplug the memory wires and the CEL will actually flash the code on start up. (Slow blinks = 10 and Fast blinks = 1) So I'm not sure how it is with '02 and up models, but I tried this on my 2004 Subaru WRX and the CEL just kept blinking at me, like 2 blinks per second (After replugging the memory and unplugging the green wires, the CEL stopped blinking). There were know apparent codes being flashed at me, so what seemed to work on old scoobies, does in fact, not work for the newer gen scoobies. Unless I'm doing something wrong.

So any thoughts on what this may be? I've found a lot about misfires on with these cars, especially with the 3rd cylinder, but I think I'd know if my car was misfiring no?

Here's a video on what I'm referring to with older gen scoobies and their self diagnostic CEL blinking thing

All help is appreciated!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Just take it to autozone, advance auto parts, pep boys, etc. They all almost always read codes for free.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    Just take it to autozone, advance auto parts, pep boys, etc. They all almost always read codes for free.
    Yeah I was trying to avoid this, I was looking for a simple DIY but it seems I've got no other choice lol

Quote Originally Posted by MisterNBG View Post
    Yeah I was trying to avoid this, I was looking for a simple DIY but it seems I've got no other choice lol
    Not unless you want to buy a scantool or an accessport yourself!
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

lol well, I will be buying an AP soon, but I would rather get this issue sorted out before stage 2. I'm off to Auto zone then haha

lol well, I will be buying an AP soon, but I would rather get this issue sorted out before stage 2. I'm off to Auto zone then haha

I Support ClubWRX
    Do you want to make a gamble? If you're willing to risk a few $ and some time, go ahead and troubleshoot a PO171. Whether the code is PO171 or not, the troubleshooting is good practice and there is in my view a very decent chance I'm write about the code anyway. So get some MAF cleaner, an air filter if needed, and check for vac leaks etc. See PO171 troubleshooting for more info.

Blind shot but it might work and if you can't read the code you have nothing (much) to lose.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterNBG View Post
    Ha why? It's cheap, and easy...and tells you exactly what the code is in a matter of driving time minutes?

IIRC, the AP itself isn't best at reading codes. It will...but generalizes them without being exact. Don't quote me on that though.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

k just got back from Autozone, they said it's an o2 sensor, something about bank 1? it would cost me around $190 for the o2 sensor. Is this the infamous up-pipe cat going? Anyone have any ideas on this?

I Support ClubWRX
    You need to post an actual code. What they said doesn't help.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Ah damn I don't think he gave me a code, he said something about the catalyst and the "bank 1 o2 sensor".

Isn't that the sensor in the headers, right before the Up-pipe?

Ah damn I don't think he gave me a code, he said something about the catalyst and the "bank 1 o2 sensor".

Isn't that the sensor in the headers, right before the Up-pipe?

I Support ClubWRX
    Before you spend money on a sensor you many not need I'd urge you to post the actual code. This is because sensor are expensive an in some cases although the CEL is ostensibly for a sensor, the sensor itself is among the last things to check, and therefore among the last things to replace.

If he says PO171 guy some MAF cleaner while you're there.

Then I'm going to have to go back down to Autozone and ask for the code because he NEVER told me the code, he just said, "The o2 sensor in bank 1 is probably going bad, let me see how much they're running for... $190."

Not sure why he didn't give me a code...

I'll report back tomorrow with the code, I'll strangle it out of them if I have to lol!

I Support ClubWRX
    Try letting your fingers do the walking but that may not yield a reliable answer I suppose. It may still be a costly sensor but you do not know yet. Hopefully it is not.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast