2004 WRX CEL - How to get code - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2004 WRX CEL - How to get code within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by SD_GR Try letting your fingers do the walking but that may not yield a reliable answer I ...

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Try letting your fingers do the walking but that may not yield a reliable answer I suppose. It may still be a costly sensor but you do not know yet. Hopefully it is not.
    Well, let's say it isn't the sensor, correct if I'm wrong but isn't that sensor for the Air / Fuel ratio? If so wouldn't this mean my car is running either rich or lean? interesting... I know the guy who owned the car before me had a cheap eBay BOV on it and there was a check engine light. After I bought it, I replaced the POS BOV and put the Original Subaru one back on. A day later the CEL went away. I'm curious if this is somehow related? Ah I'm just pissing in the wind now, Thanks for your help SD_GR, I'll check back in tomorrow with the code, as long as I wasn't arrested for force choking people for it

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterNBG View Post
    "The o2 sensor in bank 1 is probably going bad, let me see how much they're running for... $190."

Not sure why he didn't give me a code...
    he probably just wanted you to spend $190.00 on parts you may not need. most auto places do things like that.

like SD said, hopefully it's something less expensive.

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    "The o2 sensor in bank 1 is probably going bad, let me see how much they're running for... $190."

Not sure why he didn't give me a code...
    he probably just wanted you to spend $190.00 on parts you may not need. most auto places do things like that.

like SD said, hopefully it's something less expensive.

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Even then...you can find sensors all over the internet for a LOT cheaper.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Alright, just got back from Autozone, Here's exactly what it says.

Code - P0420

Definition
    Catalyst efficiency below threshold - Bank 1
    Probable causes
    1. Rich A/F Ration
    2. Ignition system malfunction
    3. Fault catalytic converter

Also this may be off topic yet could be VERY related. I am pushing below 1/4 tank of gas @ around 200ish miles (I try to stay at lower RPM's and out of boost for DDing) and sometimes when the car is cold, I smell raw gas.

This CEL just came on a few days ago, but the MPG and smell of gas have been this way since I bought the car (October of last year).

And back to what SD_GR told you. I bet he's right...
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

Quote Originally Posted by Ingo View Post
    And back to what SD_GR told you. I bet he's right...
    What, about it not being the sensor like Autozone claimed? I'm willing to bet SD_GR is right, I'm just curious what the problem is, I've read a lot of posts on this forum and NASIOC, about how most guys with this problem just bought an Aftermarket cattless up-pipe, did the 2.2kohm resistor mod and the problem went away. I actually have all the pipes here for me to go stage 2 like I was originally planning on doing, but then this CEL came on and I put everything on hold. I'm now starting to learn that this P0420 code can be taken care of by going stage 2 lol.

IDK, I'm going to keep reading threads, although I think I already know the answer to my problem haha

I Support ClubWRX
    OK first thing, does the cat exist? Is the car modified, in other words, and/or has a cat been removed?

Second, does the wiring exist? Check the physical connection to the sensor.

It sounds like you are running quite rich but you shouldn't be, the ECU controls fueling. If the car is unmodified, the wiring is intact, and you can find no other fault, then suspect the sensor.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Well I have a cat-back and the car USED to have a stupid eBay BOV when I bought it which caused my previous CEL (took it off about 4 or 5 months ago and CEL vanished) The car is basically all stock besides Cat-back.

I'm going to check for the wiring right now brb

wires are fine, connections are fine, I didn't take the actual sensor out because I don't have the 22mm o2 socket that is pretty much needed for this prick of a location lol. As for the pipes, stock down pipe with cats and stock up pipe that I'm assuming has a cat (I've heard people gut them?) though this CEL just came on a few days ago so I doubt it's gutted by previous owner.

So I guess that leaves room for one more option, it must be the sensor :/ I'm going to search the web a bit, I don't want a Chinese eBay sensor, though spending $200 for a F*ing sensor seems a little steep... Actually VERY steep, pretty sure my dad spent like $40 for his Silverado's sensor... That's what I get for going foreign I suppose lol.

wires are fine, connections are fine, I didn't take the actual sensor out because I don't have the 22mm o2 socket that is pretty much needed for this prick of a location lol.
    Just to clarify I looked at the sensor on the passenger side of the manifold BEFORE the up pipe, I was able to get to the sensor behind the plastic mud guard in the wheel well.

SubaruGenuineParts.com has much cheaper oem parts

Recommend: buy a Bluetooth adapter (ELM, ~$25, on Amazon), download Torque App Pro for $5 or 6 (android, Apple...) and you're set from here on out...
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

I Support ClubWRX
    Just to clarify I looked at the sensor on the passenger side of the manifold BEFORE the up pipe, I was able to get to the sensor behind the plastic mud guard in the wheel well.
    Wrong sensor. The P0420 has to do with the cat efficiency oxygen sensor which is located in the 3rd cat.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I know it's been awhile, I haven't done anything to fix my problem yet. So here's the story, Took my car down the car wash, I let her sit and idle for the 5 minutes it took me to clean the car. After that I drive out to some back roads to dry my car off fast, I pushed the car pretty hard, took her up to redline from 1st through 3rd, once I hit 4th gear, turbo fully spooled and gas pedal floored, the CEL disappeared... I slowed down, started driving like I normally would, I heard no noises and didn't smell anything so what happened? Is the problem solved?

This seems to me like it was 99% the sensors fault... So like did the sensor melt? is it still there? lol!

Car idles fine, no smell of gas anymore when starting the car up when it's cold. I guess my problem is solved right?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast