2008 wrx MY08 coolent issue

This is a discussion on 2008 wrx MY08 coolent issue within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have a 2008 MY08 wrx hatch and there are bubbles appearing in the cooling system, the car is well ...

2008 wrx MY08 coolent issue

I have a 2008 MY08 wrx hatch and there are bubbles appearing in the cooling system, the car is well looked after with 84k on the clock and the car is still standard with no mods done, the oil is not milky and it looks fine, there are no visible coolant leaks either, the temp is normal no overheating. I'm just wondering the possibility of the head gasket leaking slightly? is it common on my model? and what's the best way to get a good idea without taking the engine out? or can you remove the heads while the engine is still in the vehicle?
    OR the bubble issue maybe something simple to fix, I don't know

Forgot to mention it drives like a dream no roughness or anything
    Cheers

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    What do you mean by bubbles appearing in the cooling system? You took the tab off the overhead tank & saw bubbles? Firstly why even take off the tab. Are you loosing coolant?
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

As far as I know it's not loosing coolant, the service agent hasn't said it's losing coolent in the past services and it is at correct levels the last time I checked a week ago, i'm away on holidays so I can't check it again until I get back. I heard about the issue in the older models so I thought I would check my car and found slight bubbles not big bubbles but small ish ones when the car is running. I don't know it could be nothing it could be normal???

I Support ClubWRX
    Coolant bubbles when it is hot. Never ever & I repeat. Never,ever open the overhead tank when the car is hot. Boiling coolant is extremely dangerous & can burn & blind you.

Also each time you open the tab you are introducing air into the system. Which is not good. So unless you plan on draining the existing coolant as per maintenance schedule or for any other reason,I'd leave the top 2 tabs alone. If coolant is low in the reservoir, use the reservoir tab to top up with Subaru specified 50/50 super coolant(not sure if that is what you have,check the manual).

If you are seeing increase in engine temp,which you say you are not, burp the system. Otherwise I'd leave it alone.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Thoroughly check all your coolant hoses.