When can i expect to need a rebuild?

This is a discussion on When can i expect to need a rebuild? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi guys, im probably buying an 02 wrx with 168,000 miles on it in the morning. As far as i ...

When can i expect to need a rebuild?

Hi guys, im probably buying an 02 wrx with 168,000 miles on it in the morning. As far as i know the motor is original. The body and interior are as close to flawless as an 11 year old car can be. I have looked over the engine pretty closely and drove it for around 30 mins. I couldnt find any problems with the motor at all. It doesnt smoke, smell, has a complete carfax with all dealership maintenance. It was taken care of very well. Im curious as to what is the average mileage is when you guys have rebuilt your motors. My first car was an 87 z28 and i rebuilt it at 98,000 but that was because it had been abused. I've been told that subie motors last a while if unmolested and i was hoping to be able to hold off rebuilding it for at least a year. I drive trucks for a living so i only put a few hundred miles on my car a month. Anyway, any info would be great. Just trying to see what i can expect. If i have to rebuild it sooner then thats fine.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    There is no magic number. When it wears out then worry. However consider whether a motor maintained correctly that for some reason fails at below 200K, in the 21st century, is in any way remotely acceptable from a consumer point of view.

I feel it is not. I'd not buy another car from the same maker. YMMV.

If you got a correctly maintained motor and use authentic parts the car should run until you are bored of it. If not all bets are off.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.