2013 WRX P0451 Code Evap Emission Control System - Page 6
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2013 WRX P0451 Code Evap Emission Control System within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Well hopefully with all these WRX's maybe it'll be sorted out and a recall will come into effect. I have ...

Well hopefully with all these WRX's maybe it'll be sorted out and a recall will come into effect. I have the lumpy idle but no codes yet. Funny thing is it's not lumpy all the time it may be temperature related. Possibly the temp sensor not reading the correct outside temp and causing the ECU to adjust incorrectly.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I posted this in a related thread on NASIOC:

So I dropped the car off this morning and just picked it back up. Here is the summary on the invoice:

CUST STATES CHECK ENGINE LIGHT COMES ON
    P0301, P0302, P0303, P0304, P0451 STORED. FOUND
    TSB# 11-116-12R FOR CONCERN. SOFTWARE UPDATE AVAILABLE.
    REPROGRAMMED ECM, ROAD TEST, ALL PASSING AT THIS TIME.
    At least no new codes came up since the light came back on. When the tech called to tell me that the car was ready, I asked if he had done a compression test, but he said that he didn’t need to. The “road test” was about 10 miles, and I’ve driven it another 7 so far. It feels a lot smoother while idling, but I'm not going to get my hopes up just yet...

Just an update on my behalf. I will be taking my car in next Wednesday to the dealer. I was told that the higher up engineers said it is due to a faulty ground wire? I was also told that replacing this ground wire has been shown to fix the problem in 3 out of 4 cars with the P0451 code. I'm crossing my fingers on this one.

Hey all, just an update. I've driven my car about 500 miles since I brought it to the shop and the CEL has stayed off. The guys at the shop changed out the mass airflow sensor (MAF) and this seemed to have solved my problem. Hope this helps for anyone experiencing this problem.

Alright, another update on my end. My engine wiring harness ground that was bad was replaced. They re soldered the wires back together and wrapped them for protection etc. Have had the car back for only a day now but no CEL is back on yet. I'll wait and see how things pan out...but mine was a bad ground apparently. Hope this info helps for anyone else still trying to solve the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by TryNotToWRXit View Post
    Hey all, just an update. I've driven my car about 500 miles since I brought it to the shop and the CEL has stayed off. The guys at the shop changed out the mass airflow sensor (MAF) and this seemed to have solved my problem. Hope this helps for anyone experiencing this problem.
    Looks like I jinxed myself. Started the car today after filling up and my CEL came back on. I read the code immediately only to find it was another P0451. It doesn't appear that changing out the MAF resolved anything.

Quote Originally Posted by TryNotToWRXit View Post
    Looks like I jinxed myself. Started the car today after filling up and my CEL came back on. I read the code immediately only to find it was another P0451. It doesn't appear that changing out the MAF resolved anything.
    I'm still putting my bets on the engine wiring harness since that's what the SOA techs are telling people. I have been out of town so I haven't brought mine in to have the wiring harness replaced yet. P0451 hasn't come back since I had it at the dealership last.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ea126405 View Post
    Picked up my 2012 from the dealer today and spoke to the master mechanic who worked on it. He gave me a bit of detail regarding the fix and I'm happy to share it. The car is running fine, with no rough idle. We'll see how things go the next several days.

He removed and replaced a butt connector, which is part of the engine wiring harness. The connector joins a Black/Yellow wire to 4 wires. The four wires are responsible for 8 separate functions. One of these functions has to do with the Manifold Pressure Sensor, which is where my problem manifests itself. At any rate, the repair entailed removing the butt connector, cleaning the wires, and replacing the butt connector. In order to get to the connector, he had to remove the butyl wrap and then re-wrap the harness when the fix was complete. I haven't had a chance to check the area of the harness he repaired. Once I do, if there is anything interesting to see, I'll snap a pic and post.

My fingers are crossed that the problem is behind me. It is important to note that Subaru tech support is aware of this issue and potential fix. If you're back and forth to the dealer with this type of issue, be sure they get the Subaru support team involved.

3 weeks and several hundred miles later and no CELs.
    '12 WRX Limited, 5-door -- Black

Welp, another update. I'm officially throwing another P0451 . Got off work, started her up and pow! right in the kisser!

I feel so unlucky. Sigh, back to the dealer she goes tomorrow.

So I have now gone back to the dealership three times over this issue. Hopefully now it is fixed.

1st time, I showed up they suspected it was a bad MAF sensor and had to order the part.

2nd time, they installed the new sensor and say I'm all good to go. Get in the car, and immediately still have CEL (IN THE DEALERSHIP LOT). So they take it right back around again and come back to tell me that I need a new Leak Check Canister Valve (I'm not sure what it is, but the sheet says "Installed 42084SC010: Canister Valve AY"), which they also have to order.

3rd time, they have just now installed my canister valve. The work order receipt states "DTC P0451 - Leak Check Valve has incorrect output replaced with new and cleared code. all okay"

So, hopefully it is "all okay." I'll report back again if I ever have this stupid code. I hope this helps some others with this same issue.

Here is the part that they ordered, I still don't really understand what it is... but this is my first "real" car
    http://www.trademotion.com/parts/ind...ow=1&maxRow=10
    Last edited by Rulin; 09-11-2013 at 02:02 PM.

Glad i found this site and this thread now I feel like I'm not alone in this problem haha. I bought a 12 wrx last september. My first CEL came on at 1k. Over the last year the light comes on regulary. Had it to the dealership MANY times and so far have been told it was a recall, a "loose gas cap", bad gas, a bad fuel level sensor and now the dash is lit up again. Taking the car in a few days to give west herr subaru one more chance to fix it for good. I've talked to a law firm about NYS lemon laws and this situation is well within the stature. Car has 11k now and if its not fixed this time i'll be going the legal route.

Quote Originally Posted by scoobyhooner7 View Post
    Glad i found this site and this thread now I feel like I'm not alone in this problem haha. I bought a 12 wrx last september. My first CEL came on at 1k. Over the last year the light comes on regulary. Had it to the dealership MANY times and so far have been told it was a recall, a "loose gas cap", bad gas, a bad fuel level sensor and now the dash is lit up again. Taking the car in a few days to give west herr subaru one more chance to fix it for good. I've talked to a law firm about NYS lemon laws and this situation is well within the stature. Car has 11k now and if its not fixed this time i'll be going the legal route.
    Man, that really is crappy. I've still got my CEL on as the dealership has yet to answer my damn phone calls...about ready to just drive my ass up there. Anyway, I hope Subaru seriously figures this out as I am going to start seriously getting frustrated if I end up in the same boat with no repair. Not to mention I would hate to take the legal route.

Quote Originally Posted by Ensorcelled View Post
    Man, that really is crappy. I've still got my CEL on as the dealership has yet to answer my damn phone calls...about ready to just drive my ass up there. Anyway, I hope Subaru seriously figures this out as I am going to start seriously getting frustrated if I end up in the same boat with no repair. Not to mention I would hate to take the legal route.
    I feel you on the frustrated thing. I had an 02 bugeye, an 05 stil and have neve,r ever had any probems like this. My sti didnt throw a cel till I hit 100k, but my 12 has been doing this evap thing since I purchased the car. I've been at the dealership for this problem so many times I lost count. I now have 11k on the car and it continues to periodically throw this code, and the rough idle nonsense. There's only one subaru store in the area so I'm out of options. Brinigng the car back in a few days to give them one final chance to repair this. If not I've contacted a law firm and NY lemon law states if they fix they have to fix the same defect more than 4 times within the first 2 yrs or 18k you're entitled to a new replacement vehicle through subaru. I've driven and bought subarus forever and dissapointed doesn't describe where I'm at with this company.

Well I took the car in again this morning. They told me SOA knows about the issue with these cars said to do something with the harness, said they'd like to keep the car overnight to make sure the code doesn't pop back up with the evap purge. If it doesn't work they'll be replacing the entire harness. Ain't nobody got time for that! Hopefully this is the final fix!

Are all your cars stock or modified? I just hit 9k miles on my '13 wrx but I am running a catless dp and cobb stage 2 map for most of those miles (about 6500 to be exact). And during that time, it has been running great. The most aggressive ive driven it was just in the mountains. But even then I was probably only pushing it about 80%. It is odd how right when I hit the 9k mile mark, I get those EXACT same problems you guys are having. PFFFE, P0300 codes. I was about to go in next week to have my car protuned, but reading through the whole post and you guys are saying a faulty wiring harness, I think ill hold off on it and change the car back to stock and have subaru fix the issue. I really hope its a simple and quick fix. I have a set of brand new RPF1 wheels coming in!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.