2013 WRX P0451 Code Evap Emission Control System - Page 5
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2013 WRX P0451 Code Evap Emission Control System within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by TryNotToWRXit Will do. I didn't get a call today and if I don't receive a call by ...

Quote Originally Posted by TryNotToWRXit View Post
    Will do. I didn't get a call today and if I don't receive a call by lunch tomorrow then I will give the dealer a call.
    How is the car? Any details? We must know. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I called the dealer today. Bringing my car in Thursday/Friday. I believe it is only to gather info to send off to Subaru.

Quote Originally Posted by TryNotToWRXit View Post
    I called the dealer today. Bringing my car in Thursday/Friday. I believe it is only to gather info to send off to Subaru.
    Do you mind me asking what dealer you brought your car into? So I can my dealer to give them a call. Thank you.

Hi all! First time poster here, but I’ve been on NASIOC for a while. Oddly enough, nobody there went into as much detail on their dealings with this issue. Here’s my background:

I picked up my 2012 WRX in December of 2011. I change my oil regularly every 7,500 miles with Mobil 1 5W-30 full synthetic. I always put in 93 octane fuel from Mobil, Shell, or BP and make sure that the gas cap has been clicked 2 to 3 times. I don’t really push my car hard outside of some occasional spirited driving, but I drive an average of 85 miles per day. The car is completely stock outside of my winter tires/wheels that I use from November through April/May. Ever since I got the car, I always noticed a slight shudder that occurred intermittently while idling – I would say that it almost felt like a gust of wind hitting the car every few seconds. My other friends with Subarus mentioned having that as well, so I didn’t pay it much mind. Here’s my run-down of my issues:

-5/20/13 (~44,700 miles): My car’s CEL appeared. I immediately took it to the dealership and they said that it was a misfire on cylinder 1 (I’m assuming the code was P0301). They cleared it and told me to bring the car in again if the light reappeared.

-7/26/13 (~50,000 miles): Right after I started the car in the morning, I noticed my RPM gauge was oscillating a bit and the car felt rough while idling. I turned the car off, then on again, and the CEL appeared. I took it to AutoZone and it threw P0301 through P0304 – misfire on all four cylinders. The light persisted for a few weeks, so I made an appointment to take it in on 8/20, but on 8/19, the CEL cleared itself.

-8/20/13 (~52,500 miles): One day after clearing itself, the light came back on. This time, I was on my way home and stopped at a light. The car was sufficiently warmed-up since I had been driving for about 30 minutes. Just before the light appeared, the car began idling rough, so I gave it some gas to see if that would smooth it out. Only after the CEL appeared did the rough idling stop. Since there was an AutoZone on my way home, I got the codes read again: P0301 through P0304 and P0451.

I’m going to make an appointment to bring it in next week and I will report back my findings here.

Side note: I had to have the hose from the intercooler to the throttle body replaced because it came loose at 39,000 and 48,600 miles. I’ll have them check it again.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalityEvent View Post
    Hi all! First time poster here, but Iíve been on NASIOC for a while. Oddly enough, nobody there went into as much detail on their dealings with this issue. Hereís my background:

I picked up my 2012 WRX in December of 2011. I change my oil regularly every 7,500 miles with Mobil 1 5W-30 full synthetic. I always put in 93 octane fuel from Mobil, Shell, or BP and make sure that the gas cap has been clicked 2 to 3 times. I donít really push my car hard outside of some occasional spirited driving, but I drive an average of 85 miles per day. The car is completely stock outside of my winter tires/wheels that I use from November through April/May. Ever since I got the car, I always noticed a slight shudder that occurred intermittently while idling Ė I would say that it almost felt like a gust of wind hitting the car every few seconds. My other friends with Subarus mentioned having that as well, so I didnít pay it much mind. Hereís my run-down of my issues:

-5/20/13 (~44,700 miles): My carís CEL appeared. I immediately took it to the dealership and they said that it was a misfire on cylinder 1 (Iím assuming the code was P0301). They cleared it and told me to bring the car in again if the light reappeared.

-7/26/13 (~50,000 miles): Right after I started the car in the morning, I noticed my RPM gauge was oscillating a bit and the car felt rough while idling. I turned the car off, then on again, and the CEL appeared. I took it to AutoZone and it threw P0301 through P0304 Ė misfire on all four cylinders. The light persisted for a few weeks, so I made an appointment to take it in on 8/20, but on 8/19, the CEL cleared itself.

-8/20/13 (~52,500 miles): One day after clearing itself, the light came back on. This time, I was on my way home and stopped at a light. The car was sufficiently warmed-up since I had been driving for about 30 minutes. Just before the light appeared, the car began idling rough, so I gave it some gas to see if that would smooth it out. Only after the CEL appeared did the rough idling stop. Since there was an AutoZone on my way home, I got the codes read again: P0301 through P0304 and P0451.

Iím going to make an appointment to bring it in next week and I will report back my findings here.

Side note: I had to have the hose from the intercooler to the throttle body replaced because it came loose at 39,000 and 48,600 miles. Iíll have them check it again.
    I don't mean to short change ya... but I don't think that is relevant to this issue. I haven't read the thread in full detail, but most of these guys are issues just dealing with the P0451 codes. I'd get a compression test done. If you are having that many misfires, something is seriously wrong - not due to the evaporation system. The throttle body hose isn't a bad thing to check, either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

Quote Originally Posted by Heide264 View Post
    I don't mean to short change ya... but I don't think that is relevant to this issue. I haven't read the thread in full detail, but most of these guys are issues just dealing with the P0451 codes. I'd get a compression test done. If you are having that many misfires, something is seriously wrong - not due to the evaporation system. The throttle body hose isn't a bad thing to check, either.
    Youíre right, most are dealing with P0451, but more than a few are having misfire issues as well, whether itís P0300 (random/multiple cylinder misfire) or P0301 through P0304 (cylinder 1 through 4 misfire). I now have both codes with the rough idle that some are reporting in this thread.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalityEvent View Post
    You’re right, most are dealing with P0451, but more than a few are having misfire issues as well, whether it’s P0300 (random/multiple cylinder misfire) or P0301 through P0304 (cylinder 1 through 4 misfire). I now have both codes with the rough idle that some are reporting in this thread.
    I'd still recommend a compression test. Compression tests will give you hard results. Reading over people's solutions from here are/will be shots in the dark. Always get what hard information ya can. At 52k miles... I'd lean on a messed up ring (or two) over a PCV issue, personally. I'd imagine that PCV issues aren't too far behind a busted ring.

...By the way - holy cow... you drive that car a lot, ha.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

Quote Originally Posted by Heide264 View Post
    I'd still recommend a compression test. Compression tests will give you hard results. Reading over people's solutions from here are/will be shots in the dark. Always get what hard information ya can. At 52k miles... I'd lean on a messed up ring (or two) over a PCV issue, personally. I'd imagine that PCV issues aren't too far behind a busted ring.

...By the way - holy cow... you drive that car a lot, ha.
    Absolutely, thanks for the input! I know that these posts give, at best, general information on potential causes. As such, a full rundown of tests should always be done to determine root cause. I just thought I'd chime in since I'm experiencing similar symptoms.

Haha... yeah. That's part of the joys of being in the Chicagoland area and working in pharma or medical devices. If you want to live or just spend a lot of time in Chicago proper, be prepared to drive a TON since all those companies are in Lake county.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

My car has not thrown any codes, but I've noticed mine has a rough idle as well. Some people on this forum told me it was probably normal, but from the experiences on this thread, perhaps not so much. I have 1300 miles on my '13 hatch, but the rough idle has been going on since right around 200 miles. Car is completely stock, and proper break-in followed for first 1k miles. The idle feels like a bunch of inconsistent "mini-misfires", nothing too crazy, but definitely noticeable. Only during idle, nothing during driving...
    **Stink-Eye Mob Member #96**

2013 Rex Hatch Rally Blue
    Crying over money spent on this car and my obsession with hi-fi/ audiophile goodies

"I would buy that car if I was the sort of person who looked at my sister and thought, mmmmmm." -Jeremy Clarkson, referencing the Ford Mustang

Quote Originally Posted by Zitro View Post
    My car has not thrown any codes, but I've noticed mine has a rough idle as well. Some people on this forum told me it was probably normal, but from the experiences on this thread, perhaps not so much. I have 1300 miles on my '13 hatch, but the rough idle has been going on since right around 200 miles. Car is completely stock, and proper break-in followed for first 1k miles. The idle feels like a bunch of inconsistent "mini-misfires", nothing too crazy, but definitely noticeable. Only during idle, nothing during driving...
    The idle on my 2013 is the same as you have described here. It has been that way since it was new. I have a feeling that the boxer engines just have a rough idle. I suspect the wiring harness has a poor connection in it from the factory which causes false sensor readings and then the ecu throws a code.

Mine has the same idle problem it has 3,300 miles on it. I too noticed it at low mileage. No codes funny thing if I reset my ecu it idles smooth until the timing and fuel tables recalibrate. Seems that my TP stage tune has smoothed out my idle we will see have not run a full tank of gas through it yet.
    jeff

Just thought I would throw an update to this thread. My car has officially thrown a code as of last night . I'm unsure what code it is because I've yet to get it read somewhere, but I'm just going to call the dealer tomorrow Morning and see if they can't squeeze me in to see what is going on. I will say on start up, I had another crappy idle and then I drove about 6 miles and stopped the car for about 30 minutes. Got back in and started her up, and bam... CEL. I'm almost hoping that its the same code you guys are getting so I can at the very least have a thread (this one) I can print out and show what is going on to the tech(s) I talk to about it. I'll keep my issue updated.

Edit: Forgot to mention, I'm officially at 2,765 Miles...haven't even done my first oil change on the car!

Hey all, sorry for the update delay. The dealer had my car for four hours on Friday. Final word was that the issue was caused by a faulty intake temperature sensor. They have one on order and it should be in this week. Once its installed I'll post back after a few hundred miles to see if the CEL truly went away.

Quote Originally Posted by georgia-wrx View Post
    Mine has the same idle problem it has 3,300 miles on it. I too noticed it at low mileage. No codes funny thing if I reset my ecu it idles smooth until the timing and fuel tables recalibrate. Seems that my TP stage tune has smoothed out my idle we will see have not run a full tank of gas through it yet.
    jeff
    My car too is consistent with the timing and fuel tables being calibrated and no issues as I was running Cobb Stage 1 for almost 6k miles before my problems started. When I was running through the gauntlet of issues, that just so happen to miraculously fix themselves with no rhyme or reason now, I would reset my ECU and the problem would go away until the timing and fuel tables were calibrated. Still nothing as of yet for mine with regards to anymore pending codes, so I'll just have to wait and see what happens when the temperature starts to dip fast.

Update:

Just got back from the Dealer and It was the P0451 code! So I get to wait for a call from the head technician tomorrow who is going to get into contact with SOA engineers to find out what to do. I also found out that apparently there is 1 WRX and 1 STi sitting on the lot with the same problem with less than 3k miles on them both. I really hope they figure out the problem...

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast