2013 WRX P0451 Code Evap Emission Control System - Page 4
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2013 WRX P0451 Code Evap Emission Control System within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by Ensorcelled Add me to the list. I dunno if I'm having this exact same issue or not ...

Quote Originally Posted by Ensorcelled View Post
    Add me to the list. I dunno if I'm having this exact same issue or not but I've been experiencing this in my 13' WRX and I'm only at 2500 miles on the clock. I'm not throwing any codes though, but I was also told by my dealer it was an ECU thing and that there was an update. Something to do with A/F ratio being out of whack. I'll be taking my car up to the dealer tomorrow to get the updated flash. I'll post back results.
    I own a 2013 wrx with 3,700 miles. I have the COBB intake and tune. I also had a misfire code and sent idle, holding rpm, and 3rd gear pull data logs. It has been one day. Hopefully the guy the got the new tune from Subaru will post a fix and COBB can fix their tune. Happy to hear other with this issue. I will speak up and cause a scene with this issue. With no car payments, I want an answer or a refund!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

My P0451 code reappeared today, 9 days after the dealership cleared it. I called them today and asked them to look on their system to see if there are any updates to the ecu. They said that there are no updates for the 2013 WRX. I am dropping it off Friday morning to have them look at it again.

Quote Originally Posted by dan5505 View Post
    My P0451 code reappeared today, 9 days after the dealership cleared it. I called them today and asked them to look on their system to see if there are any updates to the ecu. They said that there are no updates for the 2013 WRX. I am dropping it off Friday morning to have them look at it again.
    That's no fun. I would have hoped that it would be good with the flash. I have yet to take my car up to the dealer, but I will tomorrow so I'll update on what they say to me then. Best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Ensorcelled View Post
    That's no fun. I would have hoped that it would be good with the flash. I have yet to take my car up to the dealer, but I will tomorrow so I'll update on what they say to me then. Best of luck.
    The first visit, the service receipt said they only cleared the code. No flash. My dealership is claiming there is no ECU update available.

The first visit, the service receipt said they only cleared the code. No flash. My dealership is claiming there is no ECU update available.
    Oh? I would ask them about it again because the service technician that I spoke to as I was explaining my problem to, (dunno if it is exactly related) said there was an ECU flash update to correct the problem.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ea126405 View Post
    Found this thread after starting a new one. I haven't had the Evap code, but do have misfire codes. I have had my 2012 to the dealer on two occasions. First visit for P301, P302, P304, CELs. Second visit P301, CEL. Car has 10K miles and is 100% stock.

The car runs a bit rough at idle, on occasion. The codes were thrown just after starting car and driving (not fully warmed up).

The first visit to the dealer resulted in a new ECU flash, which was designed to fix "random misfires" according to the service writer. BTW, the new flash has a MUCH smoother power curve with the car under boost, no more hitch at 3.6-3.7 RPMs, I'm thankful for that...

I'll keep an eye on this thread and provide feedback as I receive it from my dealer.
    I'll have mine back to dealer on Monday and I am hopeful that the 3rd time will be the charm. I swung by a few days ago and they were nice enough to pull codes, on the fly (no appt.). The light was actually off by then but the codes were stored. This time the dreaded P0451 showed up along with misfire 0301.

Anyway, I got a call from the service advisor. Their master tech has been in touch with Subaru. The problem could be related to a harness issue, which he'll be looking at on Monday. Got my fingers crossed...
    '12 WRX Limited, 5-door -- Black

Update!!!

My dealership called me this afternoon and said they had to call Subaru to get this one figured out. They said that it is a wiring harness. When I picked it up I asked which wiring harness and they said the whole engine wiring harness. They have it on order and it will be here in 5 days.

It sounds like a big project. I hope they do it correctly. I popped the hood and found evidence of where they were diagnosing. You can see that some of the heat shield is dangling on the wiring harness. When they say "the whole engine wiring harness", do you think that means just the harness from the plug to the engine? The plug that I am talking about is in the upper left hand corner of this picture.

Hey all, figured I'd post my P0451 story here as well. First off, I have a '13 WRX with minor mods (catback and short shifter) with 12,500 miles on it. About a month a half ago I got a check engine light on my way to work, so I stopped at the dealership to have them take a look at it. I pulled it into the shop and he simply read the code and asked if I ever filled the car up while it was running. I responded no and he told me that if comes back on to bring it in. Two weeks later I looked down on my way home from work and the light was back on. I read the code as "P0451" then stupidly cleared it. I scheduled another appointment and brought it in. This time they ran a full diagnostic test on the car and tightened a few hoses. However, since I cleared the code they couldn't really do much else. This past week the code came back. This time it was a little different. I scheduled the appointment on Wednesday afternoon for Friday @ 3:00. During that time the check engine light came on and off 4 separate times. I was actually really hoping it would be on when I brought it in and sure enough it was. After my wait the technician came out and said "this isn't going to be an easy one." I didn't get the full story of what they did, but in his hand he had a bunch of pressure read outs. Possibly a faulty sensor somewhere? He said that they would have to call the engineers on this one. I'll be getting a call back either Monday or Tuesday.

I do find it peculiar that this has happened to everyone between 10-12k miles. I really hope there is an easy solution to this...I just want my car to run smooth again. I'll keep everyone posted on my findings.

Quote Originally Posted by TryNotToWRXit View Post
    Hey all, figured I'd post my P0451 story here as well. First off, I have a '13 WRX with minor mods (catback and short shifter) with 12,500 miles on it. About a month a half ago I got a check engine light on my way to work, so I stopped at the dealership to have them take a look at it. I pulled it into the shop and he simply read the code and asked if I ever filled the car up while it was running. I responded no and he told me that if comes back on to bring it in. Two weeks later I looked down on my way home from work and the light was back on. I read the code as "P0451" then stupidly cleared it. I scheduled another appointment and brought it in. This time they ran a full diagnostic test on the car and tightened a few hoses. However, since I cleared the code they couldn't really do much else. This past week the code came back. This time it was a little different. I scheduled the appointment on Wednesday afternoon for Friday @ 3:00. During that time the check engine light came on and off 4 separate times. I was actually really hoping it would be on when I brought it in and sure enough it was. After my wait the technician came out and said "this isn't going to be an easy one." I didn't get the full story of what they did, but in his hand he had a bunch of pressure read outs. Possibly a faulty sensor somewhere? He said that they would have to call the engineers on this one. I'll be getting a call back either Monday or Tuesday.

I do find it peculiar that this has happened to everyone between 10-12k miles. I really hope there is an easy solution to this...I just want my car to run smooth again. I'll keep everyone posted on my findings.
    This sounds like the same issue I have. If they call Subaru, I bet they are going to say its the engine wiring harness. Please post back when they diagnose your car on Monday or Tuesday. Most people say they will post back but never do. I think we have almost narrowed it down to the 2013 WRX wiring harness. Maybe there will be a recall eventually?

Update!!!

My dealership called me this afternoon and said they had to call Subaru to get this one figured out. They said that it is a wiring harness. When I picked it up I asked which wiring harness and they said the whole engine wiring harness. They have it on order and it will be here in 5 days.

It sounds like a big project. I hope they do it correctly. I popped the hood and found evidence of where they were diagnosing. You can see that some of the heat shield is dangling on the wiring harness. When they say "the whole engine wiring harness", do you think that means just the harness from the plug to the engine? The plug that I am talking about is in the upper left hand corner of this picture.

Oh man, the entire wiring harness? I'm glad they finally figured it out for you. I hope mine does not end up being the same thing. I still have not been able to take my car into the dealer yet over my idle woes, but then again I still have yet to throw a code. Hope they get everything straightened out with your car. Hope this is "the" fix for it.

This sounds like the same issue I have. If they call Subaru, I bet they are going to say its the engine wiring harness. Please post back when they diagnose your car on Monday or Tuesday. Most people say they will post back but never do. I think we have almost narrowed it down to the 2013 WRX wiring harness. Maybe there will be a recall eventually?
    Will do. I didn't get a call today and if I don't receive a call by lunch tomorrow then I will give the dealer a call.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ea126405 View Post
    I'll have mine back to dealer on Monday and I am hopeful that the 3rd time will be the charm. I swung by a few days ago and they were nice enough to pull codes, on the fly (no appt.). The light was actually off by then but the codes were stored. This time the dreaded P0451 showed up along with misfire 0301.

Anyway, I got a call from the service advisor. Their master tech has been in touch with Subaru. The problem could be related to a harness issue, which he'll be looking at on Monday. Got my fingers crossed...

Picked up my 2012 from the dealer today and spoke to the master mechanic who worked on it. He gave me a bit of detail regarding the fix and I'm happy to share it. The car is running fine, with no rough idle. We'll see how things go the next several days.

He removed and replaced a butt connector, which is part of the engine wiring harness. The connector joins a Black/Yellow wire to 4 wires. The four wires are responsible for 8 separate functions. One of these functions has to do with the Manifold Pressure Sensor, which is where my problem manifests itself. At any rate, the repair entailed removing the butt connector, cleaning the wires, and replacing the butt connector. In order to get to the connector, he had to remove the butyl wrap and then re-wrap the harness when the fix was complete. I haven't had a chance to check the area of the harness he repaired. Once I do, if there is anything interesting to see, I'll snap a pic and post.

My fingers are crossed that the problem is behind me. It is important to note that Subaru tech support is aware of this issue and potential fix. If you're back and forth to the dealer with this type of issue, be sure they get the Subaru support team involved.
    '12 WRX Limited, 5-door -- Black

Hi all. Thanks for all the posts. I am having the same issues with my 2013 WRX as well. I will be taking a print of this thread to dealer on Thursday and will post any fixes. I have also been in contact with Subaru of America about this issue and will keep e-mailing them about this problem as well as a link to this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephenson View Post
    Hi all. Thanks for all the posts. I am having the same issues with my 2013 WRX as well. I will be taking a print of this thread to dealer on Thursday and will post any fixes. I have also been in contact with Subaru of America about this issue and will keep e-mailing them about this problem as well as a link to this thread.
    GREAT INFO!!! Thanks for the UPDATE!...

Here's my update...My car hasn't acted a fool in quite some time now, runs strong without a doubt. Now based off of these findings with the engine harness, I know that the 3rd time I took it in they unplugged and replugged that harness back in and since then the car hasn't had an issue, now I'm curious as to if I were to "jiggle" that harness if it would cause a faulty connection and recreate the issue? Now does anyone know, ea126405, if any of those controlled sensors would cause a P0300 code as well or only fault P0451? or just by itself? At first I was getting P0451 AND P0300, then I was only getting P0300 but once or twice got P0451. Now I've got nothing, no pending codes what so ever. If it isn't the harness or something was tweaked the last time it was at the dealer it matches up perfectly when our weather changed here in VA. It's been much cooler. I currently have ~15k on the od.

Come on now. Now the CEL is off and I am going to the dealer tomorrow in the AM. Anyone have an clues as to what sets the the CEL off?

Anyone notice if it was much warmer climate when the CEL came on? I am from Colorado and I did notice when it was hot (>90s) the CEL would come on. Any thoughts?

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast