2013 WRX P0451 Code Evap Emission Control System - Page 2
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2013 WRX P0451 Code Evap Emission Control System within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Ugh. I got my car back from the dealership two days ago. They're still stuck on the "bad gas" theory ...

Ugh. I got my car back from the dealership two days ago. They're still stuck on the "bad gas" theory and added dry gas and drove the car for 50 miles to see if it would act up. They said that they have been in contact with Subaru throughout all of this, and this is what they suggested. No CELs...yet, but my idles, especially from a cold start are still ridiculously rough.

I'm not pleased with how this has all been handled.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I have a 2013 WRX with 1,800 miles on it stage 1 Cobb OTS tune since 1,000 miles and have had a rough idle since new. No codes or at least no cel and light throttle exceleration seem unsmooth when cold not so bad when warm but still not smooth all the time. I thought it was just the nature of the beast. I guess I need to check for codes. Something I've learned over the years we should run nothing but NGK plugs in these things but Subaru started using Nippondenso plugs back in 1989 when I worked in the Subaru dealership and we would have new cars come off the truck skipping we would change them out with NGK and that would fix the problem. I've been told they are or had used Champion plugs or did those plugs are best used as a boat ancore junk. So maybe a plug change would be in order.
    jeff

Update: CEL came back on as I was about to leave work. Back to the dealership I go on Friday...

Quote Originally Posted by Gold View Post
    Update: CEL came back on as I was about to leave work. Back to the dealership I go on Friday...
    Since my last update on the 28th I have not gotten another CEL but I'm still getting random intermittent pending P0300 codes...Since the dealership flashed my ECM back to the factory code I have not gotten another P0451 code. I did however contact Cobb providing them logs and an ECM snapshot prior to me taking it to the dealership and they had gotten back to me with no rhyme or reason as to what might be going on, since then I have not reinstalled my AP. They suggested look at plugs/coil packs/TMIC endtanks and or the TB to TMIC coupler as these things seem to be common issues. They also suggested that I take it to another dealership for a "second opinion" since the first one couldn't figure it out after having it 2 times both of which they noticed a problem but were unable to properly diagnose it. This seems to be my next step, after that I'm going start pulling stuff off myself looking for the culprit.

you guys are not the only ones experiencing this. Subaru has been slacking a lot over the years with their manufacturing, along with not caring to fix their issues. as from the 08-11 I want to say have clutch firewall welds breaking and now the 12-13 all starting to have evap issues.
    just keep hassling the dealers to keep fixing it under your warrenty, even try calling soa if they might be a bit more help. hopefully with enough complaints things can start being worked out

Quote Originally Posted by georgia-wrx View Post
    I have a 2013 WRX with 1,800 miles on it stage 1 Cobb OTS tune since 1,000 miles and have had a rough idle since new. No codes or at least no cel and light throttle exceleration seem unsmooth when cold not so bad when warm but still not smooth all the time. I thought it was just the nature of the beast. I guess I need to check for codes. Something I've learned over the years we should run nothing but NGK plugs in these things but Subaru started using Nippondenso plugs back in 1989 when I worked in the Subaru dealership and we would have new cars come off the truck skipping we would change them out with NGK and that would fix the problem. I've been told they are or had used Champion plugs or did those plugs are best used as a boat ancore junk. So maybe a plug change would be in order.
    jeff
    I checked and the 2013's have NGK Laser Iridium plugs in it from factory.

Yesterday when I started the car and it ran like complete crap right out of the gate. I have not yet had a repeat of the P0451 code since the dealer factory reset my computer, but I am of course still getting P0300. One thing I have noticed is when it starts running "sluggish" but not like total crap I end up with a pending P0300 that can last anywhere from 3-7 days then it will just straight fall on it's face, I'll end up with a confirmed P0300 with a pending P0300 while it's chugging. So I cleared the codes. Now here is the great part the car runs fine without any issues but still maintains a P0300 pending. I have noticed, what appears to be a connection with the car running "fine" and the EVAP SYSTEM is NOT READY, the car starts to develop issues after it goes ready, although I am not getting any evap codes. All the while I have a pending P0300 code. I am having the hardest time wrapping my head around this inconsistency.

I Support ClubWRX
    This thread ticks me off. It's unreal that Subaru can't get this stuff straightened out for you guys. Those evap codes will most likely throw your car into "limp mode" where it will use reduced timing, failsafe fueling, and will probably limit boost to wastegate pressure... In a nutshell: emissions codes cause your car to run like balls, regardless of the issue at hand.

I'm not that familiar with the evap system, to be honest. I just know what lines go where. Do you know if they found a ton of oil in the lines? How did the spark plugs look when they checked them? The misfire codes are quite concerning.

...To whomever was told a radio was blocking your "ECM signals"... go drop your balls on to the counter in front of that tech.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

Useduserrname that's great to hear they smartened up and switched back to ngk.
    Jeff

Time to drop the car off at the dealership again, here goes round number three CEL P0300 this morning after my commute to work rather than after start up like usual which means this is extremely intermittent and inconsistent. I have no clue as to the conditions that are making this fault occur whether it's weather, driving conditions, fuel etc. Oh what fun!

Started the car this afternoon and now I'm back to the P0300 and P0451...haven't seen the P0451 since the dealership did a ECM reflash. Dropping the car off tomorrow hopefully this "new" dealership finds something.

My dealership got back to me a few days ago and told me that they replaced the Throttle Position Sensor and it seems to be running fine. It always seems to be running fine when they have it, so I told them to keep it for a few more days to see what happens. Hopefully this is the fix, but would that cause a P0451 code?

Is this only happening the 2013s?

Hey guys sorry for the late reply. But got mine back the day before the 4th. Seems as though its finally fixed! The girl that told my car was done, told me that they found a splice in the wiring harness. When I got to the dealership to pick up my car the technicians were gone, so I wasn't able to ask where the splice was. Its been running good for a little over a week now with no hiccups

Sent from my Galaxy SIII using Tapatalk 2
    2013 WRX Sedan DGM

-Paul

you should call that dealership and ask where the splice was.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast