Stuck Nut Connecting Downpipe to Turbo

This is a discussion on Stuck Nut Connecting Downpipe to Turbo within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I had the long block replaced under warranty. When I tried to take the stock downpipe off, the nut appears ...

I Support ClubWRX

Stuck Nut Connecting Downpipe to Turbo

I had the long block replaced under warranty. When I tried to take the stock downpipe off, the nut appears to be completely cross threaded and now won't move in either direction. Does anyone have a suggestion for how to get this off? This is the one I am talking about:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370346798.070495.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	51.1 KB 
ID:	114361

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -Noah

2009 Spark Silver Metallic Sedan - Stage 2+

Stink-Eye Mob #91

Help Me with My Build Thread : http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-sedan.html

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    You might have to use a "nut cracker" to break the nut without damaging the stud. Check these out:
    Nut Splitter Tools — 2-Pc. Set | Nut Splitters| Northern Tool + Equipment

After the nut is broken free, you'll probably have to replace the stud, but that will be much easier to do if you use the tool above and don't just grind the bolt off.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.38◊10-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

I Support ClubWRX
    Get a nut splitter, two spare nuts and two spare studs just in case. Also have new gaskets on hand depending on what you're doing and how old they are.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Thanks guys. I will look into getting one of those nut splitter. My friend also has a stud removal kit and we will also give that a shot.

-Noah

Stink-Eye Mob #91

Help Me with My Build Thread : http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-sedan.html

So your nuts are stuck? You might just have to bust a nut.

Wait...we still talking about cars here?
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

It doesnt look like you used any PB Blaster. Try using some PB Blaster and let it soak for a day. Then heat the nut and try again. From the picture you posted it does not look cross threaded. Use a 6 point wrench or socket.
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

^^^Good idea as well...I actually have had better results with CNC Freeze-Off, but same idea. Heat is your friend as well. Simple blow torch would be enough to heat it.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    Are you using a breaker bar? Only way to get factory gorilla torqued bolts loose.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    Are you using a breaker bar? Only way to get factory gorilla torqued bolts loose.
    I beg to differ...tiny quarter inch drive ratchet was the only thing that got my last bolt loose.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    I beg to differ...tiny quarter inch drive ratchet was the only thing that got my last bolt loose.
    I have borne witness to the Great and Powerful Quarter Inch Ratchet. Let no one deny it's might!
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I took no prisoners on my OEM downpipe removal. Use a 22" breaker bar and one pull broke them free. Getting the angle was the hardest part. And yes, I did let them soak in some PB Blaster for 5 minute prior. Overkill? Maybe, but came off without any drama.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Delnari View Post
    I took no prisoners on my OEM downpipe removal. Use a 22" breaker bar and one pull broke them free. Getting the angle was the hardest part. And yes, I did let them soak in some PB Blaster for 5 minute prior. Overkill? Maybe, but came off without any drama.
    Yeah, PB Blaster and an 18" breaker bar were good enough for me too. If you're using a breaker bar, 6 point sockets are mandatory.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.38◊10-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    Yeah, PB Blaster and an 18" breaker bar were good enough for me too. If you're using a breaker bar, 6 point sockets are mandatory.
    Completely agree here, otherwise you'll be rounding bolts and effing yourself over.

I Support ClubWRX
    Ended up getting getting it off. The stud sheared off and then I used a stud extractor and replaced it. Then, one of the other ones got stuck and I cut the nut off and replaced the bolt and nut. I will invest in a nut splitter in case this kind of thing happens again.

-Noah

Stink-Eye Mob #91