03 WRX Spec R1 engine problems
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 03 WRX Spec R1 engine problems within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I was coming home from work the other day and my car just died. Now I've checked all the fuel ...

03 WRX Spec R1 engine problems

I was coming home from work the other day and my car just died. Now I've checked all the fuel system and its good so gas is getting to the engine. I replaced all the coil packs and spark plugs. But she still won't turn over.
    I took a short video of what it sounds like when I try to start her.

any and all help will be welcome I'm going insane trying to figure this out

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sounds like the timing belt jumped out of time. If you have replaced packs and plugs I would suggest pulling the front covers and checking the timing belt. If it hasn't let go, line up the marks and make sure everything is still in time.

I Support ClubWRX
    Mods? Tune? How many miles? Maintenance??

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Dvold View Post
    Sounds like the timing belt jumped out of time. If you have replaced packs and plugs I would suggest pulling the front covers and checking the timing belt. If it hasn't let go, line up the marks and make sure everything is still in time.

For what it's worth, that's what I was thinking.. wondering if the timing belt maintenance was done on time...

ok I'll check the belt today. But I have no mods on it at all I do monthly maintenance on it myself I don't trust garages and its at the 300,000 KM mark mostly highway I have a 56 KM drive to and from work monday to friday.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruaimlinn View Post
    ok I'll check the belt today. But I have no mods on it at all I do monthly maintenance on it myself I don't trust garages and its at the 300,000 KM mark mostly highway I have a 56 KM drive to and from work monday to friday.

Just so we're clear.. you did replace the timing belt and tensoner at around 160,000 KM? You're coming up on the second change interval for it now.

There is no monthly maintenance schedule for Subaru, so I'm a little confused on that.

I just look over all the fluids and wear on the tire and stuff like that every month I don't take my car to subaru I took it in once for its first check up after I bought it and they gave it back to me with no fluids in it at all I haven't taken it back since.

But yes the timing belt was off so I'll fix that and see what happens

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruaimlinn View Post
    I just look over all the fluids and wear on the tire and stuff like that every month I don't take my car to subaru I took it in once for its first check up after I bought it and they gave it back to me with no fluids in it at all I haven't taken it back since.

But yes the timing belt was off so I'll fix that and see what happens
    Good luck with that, these are interference motors. I'm going to take that post as an admission that you did not do the timing belt at the recommended time.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

Ok so I finally some time off to working on my little problem here.

I have so far changed:

the spark plugs
    coil packs
    tensioner
    idler pulley's all of them
    water pump
    all the belts
    all the fluids / filters

now before I could only get it to run for like 10 - 15 seconds as the video show's. I can now get it to idle its hard but I can get it to idle after like 2 - 3 turn over attempts.

I'm going to show another video of it running, its running very rough but hey its running. I'm currently looking for a vac leak, kind of hoping that might be the problem but if anyone else has some tips I'm all ears.

So it appears that the plugs on the passenger side of my car are not firing. Now I've tested the coil packs they are good and I've tested the plugs they spark, so to be safe I got 2 new coil packs and 2 new spark plugs but the problem stays.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Those belts you see out in the open are NOT the timing belt... Are you sure about the TIMING belt? If that has jumped your valve timing and ignition are out of whack and it just can not run right. If it jumps more the valves and pistons are going to get acquainted... that'll be expensive...
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

yes I replaced the timing belt and all the pulleys under the plastic covers, timing is spot on all the marks still stay lined up after several full rotations

so this morning I took it all apart again and rechecked the timing marks on the gears, everything is still spot on. Put it back together fired it up and it was still rough sounding just not as bad. I'm about to pull the plugs and see by chance if the passenger side ones are firing now or not but I also noticed that its doing something else now.

When you turn on the fans the car almost stalls, I took a short clip

I have some ideas what it might but I can't see it, normally I'd say alternator or battery but I had just replaced both of those 8 months ago and never had this problem before.
    Last edited by Bruaimlinn; 07-01-2013 at 11:37 AM.

I Support ClubWRX
    I think it's time to perform a cylinder leak down test. Considering your timing belt had slipped, or whatever happened, you may have bent valves now.

X2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast