After Break In Period
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on After Break In Period within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So im pretty sure this question gets asked all the time but should you change the oil right away after ...

After Break In Period

So im pretty sure this question gets asked all the time but should you change the oil right away after the the first 1000 mi?i called the dealer and they said 3000 for the first oil change. im at about 1150 and i kinda want to start having a little more fun with my car i just want to be sure that its ok to race the engine with the break in fluids. Ive taken it wot only a few times after the first 1000 just checkin if i need to change to prevent damage to the engine. btw its a 13 wrx hatch

Thnaks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Why not listen to the dealer? That's good enough for me.

No point in wasting money right now.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

I Support ClubWRX
    What does the owner's manual say for your model?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Typically those who state that they do a change at 1000 do so for added peace of mind, not because it it required.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

maintenance book they gave me said 3500. I didnt know if its better for the car to do it asap after the break in.

Quote Originally Posted by Cardwell88 View Post
    maintenance book they gave me said 3500. I didnt know if its better for the car to do it asap after the break in.
    Honestly, some people will live and die by saying "Yes you MUST change your oil right after break in!" And perhaps it does have good reasoning. I'm sure there are small metal pieces and shards and microscopic shrapnel from the building process. But, I'm also sure that if it were such a big deal and could cause a problem, the company that provides you with a warranty on their product, would suggest that you DO change it after break in. But they don't.

FWIW, on my first STI, after my break in, I just went til 3k. Had no problems for the 60k miles I owned the car.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter

ok so what are some thoughts on getting into high rpms after the break in before the first oil change? should be fine right? i never read anywhere in the manual that its bad just says before 1000 dont go over 4K..

St. Louis Metro East, on the Illinois side, but not the really bad Illinois side, but also not the really good side.
    Stop being so paranoid, or you're not going to enjoy your car. My dealership told me to bring the car back at 3k miles for the first oil change, free of charge.

After I put my first 1000 miles on it, I have been going WOT in my WRX almost daily and I have 1600 miles on it. I spent 30k on this car, so I'm going to use it to its full potential.

ok so what are some thoughts on getting into high rpms after the break in before the first oil change? should be fine right? i never read anywhere in the manual that its bad just says before 1000 dont go over 4K..
    Drive it like you stole it. It will be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Drive it like you stole it. It will be fine.
    ^+1
    NOW it's time to hit the pedal and see what she'll do. Oil change when due, 3 - 3.5K. Mine's well out of warranty, I change every 5K. Wouldn't be concerned with oil change now, while it wouldn't hurt no nothing not, personally I think it's wasted.
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

then how come my owners book say change oil every 7500 miles

Quote Originally Posted by rajalucy View Post
    No idea.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by rajalucy View Post
    Because they changed it. I believe sometime in 2011 actually. Now they should say the the oil should be changed every 7500 miles, but they recommend more frequently (3750 I believe) for cars driven "under severe driving conditions."
    Last edited by 11blackSTi; 06-03-2013 at 02:17 PM.

In my owners book (09) it says "turbo is considered severe driving conditions"... But I'd think if that's so for the newer models then the 3750 is a bit of overkill. So I'll just stick with my 5K interval. And maybe overshoot that as I see fit...
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

I have 2013 I was told by the dealer 7500 manual says 7500 . I tried to do a change at 1000 but didn't get round to it till 3000. Some people swear by a hard break in before 1000 anyway.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.