2002 wrx help!!!

This is a discussion on 2002 wrx help!!! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi guys, I'm new to this site, and am glad i found this, i have been learning alot from you ...

2002 wrx help!!!

Hi guys, I'm new to this site, and am glad i found this, i have been learning alot from you guys. My problem is that i bought a car for my son which is almost 16. We knew when we bought this car that it had timing problems, so we got the car home we tore the front end of the motor apart it had 2 pulleys blown apart. We replaced them with ones from subaru, aligned the timing correctly, and found out it had no compression.My questions are what an i looking at? I'm no mechanic by no means, i use to be into hotrods before i had a family, so i figured me and my son can learn something new. Any info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks john

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    It's an interference motor. If timing jumps there can be top end damage and/or even bottom. Maybe try a leak down to see if it's "just" valves though there's no way of which I'm aware to exclude more than valves without eyeballing it once it's apart.

People wreck these every day; is there a used motor you could get cheap?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Timing problems now no compression? My guess would be bent valves =/

Posted from a fone.

thanks for replying guys. how involved is it totake the heads off?

I Support ClubWRX
    Two choices: motor in or motor out. After that, it's what you just did for the timing plus the heads.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by jonez View Post
    thanks for replying guys. how involved is it totake the heads off?
    Yes. A leakdown test would be considerably more comprehensive for your needs than a simple compression test. However, as SD mentioned, since the EJ motors are interference motors, cam pulley failure usually results in damaged pistons (where the valve contacts the piston) and damaged valves. Fixing either would necessitate the removal of the heads.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Thanks guys for the replies. Now i have to figure out how to get the top half apart. Any suggestions?

pull the motor. its the safest way to remove the heads without dropping anything. the head bolts are under the cams and its just a pain to pull the cams in the car. SOHC motors can be done in the car but i always pull the motor on DOHC

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    First step will be pulling the motor.. once you get it out of the car and on a stand it should be fairly clear how to go about disassembling it.