A few questions on changing trans oil. - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on A few questions on changing trans oil. within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Okay gotcha. Thank you For the help. Now to see how much oil I need and what kind I should ...

Okay gotcha. Thank you For the help. Now to see how much oil I need and what kind I should use.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    2007 - Current STi:
    6 Speed Transmission And Rear Diff - 6 Liters Extra-S
    6 Speed Transmission - 5 Liters Extra-S

42AutoSports
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

Quote Originally Posted by cflip2x View Post
    2007 - Current STi:
    6 Speed Transmission And Rear Diff - 6 Liters Extra-S
    6 Speed Transmission - 5 Liters Extra-S

42AutoSports
    Hold on, So 6 liters for the trans AND rear diff? so I'm guessing trans holds 5, diff holds 1? I'm really sorry to be such a pain and keep asking such novice questions, but I wanna make sure this is done right and I learn correctly.

I Support ClubWRX
    Just to add to the confusion.. I thought it was in quarts. 4 or 5 for transmission and 1 for the rear diff.

For me it wasn't too critical. I ended up with a 5g jug when I folded the numbers out.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

I Support ClubWRX
    I believe its 3.6 quarts for the WRX and .8 for the rear diff so safely order 5
    for the STI it you would need around 4.3 quarts
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

Appreciate the help. Thank you.

EDIT*

One more question! So this covers the trans fluid change. I'm going to go ahead and change the diff fluid too. If I'm changing the rear diff fluid...shouldn't I also change the front diff fluid?? (hopefully that wasn't a realllly stupid question, but I'm assuming theres a fron't diff since its AWD).
    Last edited by Mike193; 05-27-2013 at 01:39 PM.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Front diff is in the transmission and shares the fluid..

Ahh, knew I was an idiot.

I Support ClubWRX
    I wanted to go with extra s, but I couldn't find any local dealers that sold it. I went with redline products (75-90 ns for the trans and 75-90 for the rear diff). I found a t-70 bit at autozone and I got one of those snakey hose on a funnel things to fill it up. I haven't had any issues with those fluids. Wear some heavy duty rubber gloves so the fluid doesn't get it on your hands. It stinks like crazy and your hands will smell for a while no matter what you use to clean them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -Noah

2009 Spark Silver Metallic Sedan - Stage 2+

Stink-Eye Mob #91

Help Me with My Build Thread : http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-sedan.html

I Support ClubWRX
    The clear tube I got was 5/8 x 1/2 x 20. It was easy enough to feed the tube into the dip stick hole but for you it might e easier to get to the full hole if you take off the intercooler.
    The oil does smell but as long as your careful its easy enough to clean up. I had some regular Nitrile gloves when doing the change. Also the oil runs a lot smoother so when you empty out the trans make sure to be aware.
    If you don't have a torque wrench and tend to over tighten you may want to get an extra crush washer or two. You can always pick up a torque wrench from harbor freight 10$ with a coupon.
    Last edited by cflip2x; 05-29-2013 at 08:34 AM.

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12