Concerned I have a Turbo issue with a car I have owned for less than 24 hours

This is a discussion on Concerned I have a Turbo issue with a car I have owned for less than 24 hours within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I didn't want to hijack a thread with my first post on the forum so I started a new thread. ...

Concerned I have a Turbo issue with a car I have owned for less than 24 hours

I didn't want to hijack a thread with my first post on the forum so I started a new thread. I have very similar issues as described here

turbo problems?

I believe the gauge hits around .07 or so. Dealer says the engine, head, and turbo were replaced a little while back.

One post in the thread I linked mentions failsafe fueling....what is that? What should stock boost be?
    Last edited by Nerdslogic; 05-21-2013 at 10:21 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Google says stock boost is 13.5 or 14.5....so wouldn't that be 1? The car does have an after market intake, AEM I believe.
    Last edited by Nerdslogic; 05-21-2013 at 10:26 PM.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    What car is it? What exactly are all the mods done to it? What tune is it on, and who tuned it?

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    What car is it? What exactly are all the mods done to it? What tune is it on, and who tuned it?
    I honestly have no idea. I had a mechanic buddy stop buy after work today, got the car yesterday, first Subaru. It was used and according to my friend it had mods done to it. The intake is AEM. That's pretty much all I know.

It is an 04 Impreza WRX sedan. Not STI. I don't think there is a tune on it but I have no idea. When I bought it I raised concerns about the millage on the car. All three of the people there I talked to (which doesn't mean much) said the engine was replaced like 45k miles ago. I don't know squat about cars and my previous 4 were all BMW's. This is my first turbo car as well so it was pretty easy to slide something buy me. There are 2 after market switches on the arm rest and my mechanic buddy says it looks like a lot was removed but that it all looked good....no leaks or anything around the head.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    It's not safe to run an intake without a tune, so if there's no info as far as the tune or anything I would just return the car and look for a different one. Without being properly tuned the motor could let go tomorrow for all you know.

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    It's not safe to run an intake without a tune, so if there's no info as far as the tune or anything I would just return the car and look for a different one. Without being properly tuned the motor could let go tomorrow for all you know.
    I will give that a go. My concern is the whole as is part during the purchase. What if the dealer refuses?
    Last edited by Nerdslogic; 05-21-2013 at 11:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerdslogic View Post
    I will give that a go. My concern is the whole as is part during the purchase. What if the dealer refuses?
    If you bought it As Is, you might be out of luck. Lesson learned, do your research before buying a car.

If you're stuck with it, find a tuner in your area to take a look at the car, and drive it as little as possible until then. There are some members in Oregon who could probably point you in the right direction for a shop, look in the regional forum.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

If you like the car, and you made a good deal you can live with then keep it. Just find a tune shop and have it looked at to see if any changes are still on it. Once they check the computer and dyno it you can feel better about what you actually have. If you are not into tuning the car then have the shop check everything for being stock (computer, exhaust, intake, etc.). If you really want to run it stock then get rid of the AEM intake and get a used factory airbox put back on, else you will need a tune to get to run correctly.

I honestly have no idea. I had a mechanic buddy stop buy after work today, got the car yesterday, first Subaru. It was used and according to my friend it had mods done to it. The intake is AEM. That's pretty much all I know.

It is an 04 Impreza WRX sedan. Not STI. I don't think there is a tune on it but I have no idea. When I bought it I raised concerns about the millage on the car. All three of the people there I talked to (which doesn't mean much) said the engine was replaced like 45k miles ago. I don't know squat about cars and my previous 4 were all BMW's. This is my first turbo car as well so it was pretty easy to slide something buy me. There are 2 after market switches on the arm rest and my mechanic buddy says it looks like a lot was removed but that it all looked good....no leaks or anything around the head.
    Sorry if I come off brash, but did you not do your homework BEFORE you bought the car? Why would you purchase a car, then figure all this stuff out after the fact? That's just asking for problems in the long run. That being said, I do wish you the best of luck and hope it works out for you.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Sorry if I come off brash, but did you not do your homework BEFORE you bought the car? Why would you purchase a car, then figure all this stuff out after the fact? That's just asking for problems in the long run. That being said, I do wish you the best of luck and hope it works out for you.
    I did research on the cars. Don't know how to find a tune by popping the hood though. That is why I brought the mechanic, he was unable to determine what the toggles do, and all he could say is there was more done to this car but he didn't know what. He did point out that there was a MBC at one point due to certain lines being replaced with new ones. He also said the engine sounded great, runs great. He drove it again last night and came back with the same "it runs great" opinion. The dealer would not allow me to take it to another shop for review before purchase. Now it goes to HMS tomorrow at noon for an inspection and test drive. Will report back then.

Don't worry about coming off brash. I am an adult....I can take it. But I did as much homework as I could before the purchase. Would it have been better if I could have bought a newer one....sure....but budget didn't allow it.

Wow...Took my car to Steve at horizontal motor sports and he identified the problem right away.....even diagnosed it for free. Was so good I decided to take the initial plunge and got the car tuned in addition to adding a boost controller.

Extremely satisfied now and will be returning for stage 2 upgrade shortly. This car is amazingly better now.I was only boosting at around 6 lbs.....now rocking 14 and loving it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

So what was the problem?
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Some solenoid. I guess the boost controller bypasses it

Some solenoid. I guess the boost controller bypasses it

Replaces it. Sounds like the stocker was kaput. Glad things are better for you!
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

that makes 2 of us. Picked up a book on the car so I won't be such a newb