Oil in intercooler pipe/turbo seals/turbo model

This is a discussion on Oil in intercooler pipe/turbo seals/turbo model within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys. I've got an issue with my '06 WRX. I've got the car with all the modifications, big intercooler, ...

Oil in intercooler pipe/turbo seals/turbo model

Hey guys. I've got an issue with my '06 WRX.
    I've got the car with all the modifications, big intercooler, 1.4boost, 320~350HP, haven't got the slightest idea what's been done to it.

It's eating up a lot of oil (1liter per 1200-2000Km).
    Checked the intercooler and it's showing small amounts of oil in the turbo pipes. Checked and replaced PCV valve. Cleaned it up, drove it during the day, and in the evening same oil in the pipes.

I think the turbo shaft and/or the seals might be going out. I'm afraid my engine will start running on oil and blow up, so i'm looking to fix the turbo problem.
    The thing is, i don't know what kind of turbo i have on it. I know it's a IHI turbo, There's also S47D stamped on it, might be the model #, googled it but nothing.
    I hope someone can help me identify what it is so i can search for a rebuild kit or a replacement, and if i have to replace it i won't need a remap.

Sorry for my spelling it's not my first language.
    Help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Pretty much every IHI turbo I've seen has the model number etched in the compressor housing next to the serial number..

Can't take out, since i'm using the car to drive around. But i guess, that's what i'll have to do in the end.
    For some reason I think i got the VF34 on it, and i've heard there are no rebuild kit for them. Is that right?

I Support ClubWRX
    IHI turbos aren't commonly rebuilt. You can usually find them used on nasoic for $300-$400.

I Support ClubWRX
    For what it's worth, when I had an IHI turbo installed it was very easy to read the model number off the plate on the compressor housing without removing anything.

Just took out the turbo (have to say it was one of the worst pain with the oil and coolant pipes, and putting it back on must be even harder).

This is what i found:

- There was oil in the compressor housing (not that much, i left it on it's side and started draining out)
    - Oil in the rubber air hose coming from the air filter (no liquid oil, only deposits on the walls)
    - It has very less side to side play in the turbo shaft, doesn't reach the housing sides.
    - But has loads of play in the shaft from back to front.

Are those normal? or the turbo has gone south for the summer...(seems to me)
    It's a VF34, i heard there are no rebuild kits for them, right?

Any suggestions for DIY on mounting it back, maybe with pics or video (a good one).

Sounds like the thrust bearings are bad and the journal bearings are wearing out. You will need a new turbo.

Quote Originally Posted by SKI.WRX View Post
    Sounds like the thrust bearings are bad and the journal bearings are wearing out. You will need a new turbo.
    i tought the vf34 is a ball bearing turbo, not journal bearing. i could also be wrong with those bearing names. please correct me

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by r3mu5 View Post
    i tought the vf34 is a ball bearing turbo, not journal bearing.

Yes.. here's a pretty in depth thread covering the vf34, if you're interested.

VF34: COMPLETE teardown and re-assembly. PICS!! - NASIOC

And more info on a variety of IHI turbos..

http://www.mrtperformance.com.au/VF30-or-VF34

Sorry for the mis-information, had just been reading about the Mitsubishi journal bearing turbos.