Wheel bearing..

This is a discussion on Wheel bearing.. within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Here recently I've been hearing this really bad noise coming from my driver side wheel area. I've also noticed that ...

I Support ClubWRX

Wheel bearing..

Here recently I've been hearing this really bad noise coming from my driver side wheel area. I've also noticed that it only makes the sound when I'm NOT accelerating. From what sine guys have told me, they seem to believe that it's the wheel bearing. Any thoughts on what it might be? Also if it is, how difficult would it be to replace?

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Jack that wheel up and see if there's any play in the bearing.. they're not that difficult to replace as long as the bearing hasn't welded itself into the hub.

usually you would hear the wheel bearing noise regardless if you're accelerating or not depending how fast you're going it'll be louder. it sounds like a constant hum while in the car...or kind of like a skateboard's wheels if you spin them. you can jack the car up completely off the ground, have a friend take the car up to a speed where you usually hear the noise and use a long screwdriver or the thing doctors use to listen to breathing, and put it right onto the hub from under the vehicle
    also while turning, whichever way the car has weight on it (say you're cornering right on the highway the weight will be on that drivers front wheel) the noise goes away and quiets a bit
    usually theyre not too hard to replace. The easiest way to replace it is with the whole hub assembly.

I Support ClubWRX
    Went and got a vehicle diagnostic today and find out it is NOT the wheel bearing.. they seem to believe it's the transfer case..

Quote Originally Posted by lalcaps824 View Post
    they seem to believe it's the transfer case..

Not sure exactly where you went to get a diagnostic.. but I respectfully disagree, based on the fact that Subarus do not have transfer cases.

some places refer to the front diff as the transfer case too though. so in out case the transmission, so its very doubtful. especially if its not while accelerating

try to get a video of the noise for us. tell us where you're driving, like what kinds of roads. then in the video accelerate, and then don't.

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm going to go out for a drive sometime tomorrow afternoon and see if I can't get a few decent clips on the go pro for you guys

sounds good. its really hard to give a good diagnosis without hearing the noise yourself

I Support ClubWRX
    Unfortunately due to the cruddy weather, I cannot get a decent video of the noise HOWEVER...
    I have come to the conclusion that it ONLY makes this sound when i'm NOT accelerating.. It also does NOT make the sound when I turn left or right.. Any thoughts?

Grinding sound while engine braking could simply be a bad pilot bearing. Or could be loose lash between the gears. How loud is it? My transmission sounds like hell while decelerating, but that's just how it is..

I Support ClubWRX
    Uploading the clip to YouTube now, give me 15 minutes and I'll post the link here.

I Support ClubWRX
    Here is the link to the YouTube clip. It's very short but should give you an understanding to what it sounds like

Subaru Problems.. - YouTube