couple of questions to wrx owners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on couple of questions to wrx owners within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; hello, I have been considering buying a new WRX for some time now and finally I can go ahead and ...

couple of questions to wrx owners

hello, I have been considering buying a new WRX for some time now and finally I can go ahead and pull the trigger, but I still need some information as to the operating costs of the car, I know Subaru states that you can get up to 25 mpg on the highway and 19 city on their website. I already know this is not a fuel economy car in fact I don't know of many turbo cars that brag about mpg's anyways but what kind of money do you guys spend on filling up your gas tanks?

Also I have seen posts stating that the maintenance on the car is expensive why exactly is that and how much would it cost?

The car I will buy would be a '13 wrx sedan in WR blue pearl (maybe a premium) so if I can get reply's from this gen owners that would be great, but any wrx info is welcome.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

You have to use 91+ octane gas in addition to its relatively poor fuel efficiency. I'm not sure why it's stated that its expensive to maintain. It is rather expensive for aftermarket parts, maybe that's what you're inferring.

Yeah its not particularly expensive to maintain these cars. They are a derivative of a Japanese economy car...parts are a plenty. Oil changes are average prices...fill ups are between $45-55 depending on model year and part of the country you live in.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    19-25mpg sounds about right. I can get up to 32mpg averaged over an entire tank if I'm really trying. Fuel cost is a little higher than most because you MUST use premium fuel. This means if you have 93 in your area you should be using that every time, can't cheap out of gas.

Maintenance isn't really that high. I would say the worst is tires. Since it's AWD you need to rotate often (at least every 7500 miles), and you always have to replace all four tires at the same time to prevent damage to the differentials. This means if you have a blow out you're looking at spending nearly a grand on new tires, even if the other three only have a couple thousand miles on them.

You also need to use synthetic oil and be rigorous about oil changes because of the turbo. But that's about it. Brake pads might cost a little more than your average commuter car.. most people end up having to replace their clutch, but I don't think it's that much more expensive than most.

I have a 2013 WRB Premium Sedan. It has 1700 miles on it (took delivery as new 11/2/2012 with 6 miles, FWIW: lost my job the next week). Trip computer setting A which I never reset when I took delivery, has never moved from 21.0 MPG for those 1700 miles. I have since driven it on some local/highway runs around 100 miles a few times and ODO setting B (which I reset to 0 each time) has shown me a high of 28.1 MPG for those runs...I was using 93 Octane...now being unemployed, I'm gonna start feeding her 91 Octane (A Octane Subaru states is required for our WRX (93 recommend for STI)) ...wanna see what that will do for fuel economy and MPG...

BTW: next time your filling up your WRX @ your favorite station...regardless of the Octane you're using...read the Yellow sticker on the pump...
    Last edited by pmacey; 05-17-2013 at 01:35 PM.
    -MACE-
    *HAVE YOU HAD YOUR WRX TODAY!*

Quote Originally Posted by pmacey View Post
    I have a 2013 WRB Premium Sedan. It has 1700 miles on it (took delivery as new 11/2/2012 with 6 miles, FWIW: lost my job the next week). Trip computer setting A which I never reset when I took delivery, has never moved from 21.0 MPG for those 1700 miles. I have since driven it on some local/highway runs around 100 miles a few times and ODO setting B (which I reset to 0 each time) has shown me a high of 28.1 MPG for those runs...I was using 93 Octane...now being unemployed, I'm gonna start feeding her 91 Octane (A Octane Subaru states is required for our WRX (93 recommend for STI)) ...wanna see what that will do for fuel economy and MPG...

BTW: next time your filling up your WRX @ your favorite station...regardless of the Octane you're using...read the Yellow sticker on the pump...
    Why would you do that? If you have 93, put 93 in it. 91 isn't gonna make it get better fuel economy...
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by crows View Post
    hello, I have been considering buying a new WRX for some time now and finally I can go ahead and pull the trigger, but I still need some information as to the operating costs of the car, I know Subaru states that you can get up to 25 mpg on the highway and 19 city on their website. I already know this is not a fuel economy car in fact I don't know of many turbo cars that brag about mpg's anyways but what kind of money do you guys spend on filling up your gas tanks?

Also I have seen posts stating that the maintenance on the car is expensive why exactly is that and how much would it cost?

The car I will buy would be a '13 wrx sedan in WR blue pearl (maybe a premium) so if I can get reply's from this gen owners that would be great, but any wrx info is welcome.
    I have a '12 WRX base and the costs of operating the car is not a concern gas wise. I went into it knowing the fuel stats of the car and each time I fuel up with 91 oct, with 1/4 tank left, it costs between $47-$55. I never let my tank drop below the 1/4 mark. I drive mostly city and get between 15-19 mpg. On occasion I have gotten 21 mpg equally driving between city and hwy. Driving mostly hwy, I have gotten 26 mpg. I never go over 3500rpm normal driving and I only take it above 3500 rpm every now and then.

I do my own maintenance on my WRX from oil changes, tire rotation, tire pressure, etc. and the costs of these are no different from any of my other 3 cars. The costs of motor oil and oil filter vary depending on what brand you prefer.

IMO, get the car. The thrill and versatility of this car trumps the costs to maintain it.
    When life passes you by, DownShift! - DSC

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Why would you do that? If you have 93, put 93 in it. 91 isn't gonna make it get better fuel economy...
    I guess you missed the part that I''m unemployed...at this point: every cent counts.

If Subaru states our WRX only needs 91 octane, why put 93 Octane in it to feed Big Oil? ..as you stated: 91 isn't gonna make it get better fuel economy...do you have proof 91 Octane will give me worse MPG?

BTW...have you actually read that yellow label on your gas pump...get back to me once you do...
    Last edited by pmacey; 05-17-2013 at 04:09 PM.
    -MACE-

I have a 2013 WRX. I average 19 MPG over 1,600 miles so far. If I baby it for a while tank I might be able to get 24 MPG but 18-22 MPG is realistic. So just do the math based on how many miles per week you drive. I pay $3.96 /gal. for 93 octane X 16 gal. tank.

I put 93 octane in as a have a Cobb Accessport with the stage 1 tune.

I Support ClubWRX
    I guess you missed the part that I''m unemployed...at this point: every cent counts.

If Subaru states our WRX only needs 91 octane, why put 93 Octane in it to feed Big Oil? ..as you stated: 91 isn't gonna make it get better fuel economy...do you have proof 91 Octane will give me worse MPG?

BTW...have you actually read that yellow label on your gas pump...get back to me once you do...
    Do you drive with you A/C or defrost on all the time? If so, that hurts your gas mileage.

Also, 93 octane is better because it has less likelihood of your engine knocking, not because it has better gas mileage. Whether you buy 91 or 93 you are still supporting Big Oil.
    Last edited by 11blackSTi; 05-17-2013 at 05:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    Do you drive with you A/C or defrost on all the time? If so, that hurts your gas mileage.

Also, 93 octane is better because it has less likelihood of your engine knocking, not because it has better gas mileage. Whether you buy 91 or 93 you are still supporting Big Oil.
    Always try to drive with all accessories off...

My point was: why pay 10 cents more a gallon for the upgrade in Octane if you don't need it...and AMEN BRO: I hate Big Oil and their over inflated prices we pay for their gas, regardless of Octane we choose to fill our WRX's with...but we have no choice other than to use their product (for now, see how Brazil makes fuel for their cars).

Still gonna bite the bullet and fill up my WRX (completely stock) with 91 (probably GULF as they have the lowest prices around me), for the first time since I owned her...she is going off her 93 Octane diet...
    Last edited by pmacey; 05-17-2013 at 06:40 PM.
    -MACE-

Always try to drive with all accessories off...

My point was: why pay 10 cents more a gallon for the upgrade in Octane if you don't need it...and AMEN BRO: I hate Big Oil and their over inflated prices we pay for their gas, regardless of Octane we choose to fill our WRX's with...but we have no choice other than to use their product (for now, see how Brazil makes fuel for their cars).

Still gonna bite the bullet and fill up my WRX (completely stock) with 91 (probably GULF as they have the lowest prices around me), for the first time since I owned her...she is going off her 93 Octane diet...
    FWIW... living in NY.. Big oil isn't the problem.. $0.70/gallon is going straight to the gov http://www.gaspricewatch.com/web_gas_taxes.php

I have 2011 SWP sedan on 15k. I always use 93 octane gas and fils up around 55$ ( just to save couple of dollars I don't want to compromise from HP as well as engine life )and I live in Florida oil changes around 75$ and require syntactic oil and also I just did 15k service at the dealer and it cost me around 200$ and my car is bare stock. Also I am not planing to mod the car at all for cost as well as reliability reasons.

**** fuel economy. I stop calculating a few weeks into ownership.
    I'm stuck in California with "low quality" 91 octane being the best gas we can get. Octane limits power.
    With a tune, higher octane yields more power.
    Backtracking, if you make more power you won't have to use the gas pedal as much meaning better fuel economy.

Posted from a fone.

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    i spend about 80-90$ a month on gas (93oct)

as far as maintenance, i've done
    - oil changes (20$ every 3 months give or take)
    - tires (3 sets over the last 7 years. $1800)
    - brake pads (2 sets over the last 7 years.. $160)

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast