couple of questions to wrx owners - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on couple of questions to wrx owners within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Being unemployed...my priorities are probably different than most of you: I'm balancing fuel economy, low gas cost, with best bang ...

Being unemployed...my priorities are probably different than most of you: I'm balancing fuel economy, low gas cost, with best bang for power, out of my stock 2013 WRX.

That being said...went to my local Gulf station today in Northern Westchester NY, who has the lowest gas prices around, and they only offer 87, 89 (who the hell uses 89 Octane?), and then they jump to the next blend of 93 Octane @ $4.05 a gallon.

Couple of Qs: who is running a completely stock, recently new WRX with 91 octane since day 1...are you happy with your WRX performance or did you ever feel jumping to 93 (albeit @ 10-20 cents more a gallon), may get you better MPG and performance?

What National Brand offers 91 Octane...I'm thinking HESS or Getty for lowest price in NY

BTW, I've been talking about checking out the Yellow sticker on your Gas Pump...I used to sell Gas...every blend has this sticker...it is the Minimum Octane rating...FWIW: 87 Octane can actually be as high as 88 or 89...
    -MACE-
    *HAVE YOU HAD YOUR WRX TODAY!*

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Every car in CA, most of AZ, and most of NV runs on 91 at most. Mine's only ten years old but so far so good, if that helps.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I ran my completely stock '12 WRX for a year on 91 Octane with no issues. I was quite satisfied with how the car was responding to the fuel. I never felt I needed to up the octane; not that I can anyways; out here in Cali.

Quote Originally Posted by pmacey View Post
    Being unemployed...my priorities are probably different than most of you: I'm balancing fuel economy, low gas cost, with best bang for power, out of my stock 2013 WRX.

That being said...went to my local Gulf station today in Northern Westchester NY, who has the lowest gas prices around, and they only offer 87, 89 (who the hell uses 89 Octane?), and then they jump to the next blend of 93 Octane @ $4.05 a gallon.

Couple of Qs: who is running a completely stock, recently new WRX with 91 octane since day 1...are you happy with your WRX performance or did you ever feel jumping to 93 (albeit @ 10-20 cents more a gallon), may get you better MPG and performance?

What National Brand offers 91 Octane...I'm thinking HESS or Getty for lowest price in NY

BTW, I've been talking about checking out the Yellow sticker on your Gas Pump...I used to sell Gas...every blend has this sticker...it is the Minimum Octane rating...FWIW: 87 Octane can actually be as high as 88 or 89...
    When life passes you by, DownShift! - DSC

Back to the OP: you are correct: I'm staring @ my Window Sticker from my 2013 Premium WRB WRX:

The EPA/DOT Fuel Economy is a average of 21 MPG (I'm showing 21.1 for my 1710 miles since delivery). City is 19, Highway is 25...Annual Fuel Cost is $2700 a year...we're suppose to use 4.8 gallons per 100 miles.

It also states we spend $1900 more in fuel costs over 5 years compared to the average new vehicle...I'm sure we're all down with that, having that TURBO power @ our right foot!

FWIW: No where on this Window Sticker does it state minimum Octane Required...though the Brochure does...91 Octane
    -MACE-

I Support ClubWRX
    Sorry a lot of **** wagging in this thread so I don't know who is who at this point but for the guy WHO DOESN'T HAVE A JOB... Don't buy a new car! Wtf unless because RACECAR

Quote Originally Posted by matsayz View Post
    Sorry a lot of **** wagging in this thread so I don't know who is who at this point but for the guy WHO DOESN'T HAVE A JOB... Don't buy a new car! Wtf unless because RACECAR
    The guy that lost his job lost it after he had already bought his wrx.
    When life passes you by, DownShift! - DSC

I go for 93 over 91. 10 cents per gallon means $1.40 more for my largest fill yet at 14 gallons (usually I fill and it's more like 12). I think $1.40 is worth it to make sure that there is less margin of error for damaging my engine. I know the car only requires 91 octane, but there are other factors that go into it besides just the octane, so I'd rather pad that stat.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    I go for 93 over 91. 10 cents per gallon means $1.40 more for my largest fill yet at 14 gallons (usually I fill and it's more like 12). I think $1.40 is worth it to make sure that there is less margin of error for damaging my engine. I know the car only requires 91 octane, but there are other factors that go into it besides just the octane, so I'd rather pad that stat.

hey man, not everyone can afford spending an extra $1.40 once or twice a month

Quote Originally Posted by DwnShft4WRX View Post
    The guy that lost his job lost it after he had already bought his wrx.
    +1
    Yep...that would be me...lost my job exactly one week after buying my new 2013 WRX...
    -MACE-

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.