Oil leak from oil filter
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Oil leak from oil filter within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have an '04 Impreza Wrx and I have a leak coming from my oil filter, it slides down the ...

Oil leak from oil filter

I have an '04 Impreza Wrx and I have a leak coming from my oil filter, it slides down the side of the filter and drips from the bottom of it every so often, but right when I start my car quite a bit of oil leaks from the oil filter and then it just goes back to dripping every so often. A couple days ago I changed my oil and oil filter and when I started it, it didn't leak at all, but yesterday it started to leak again. Please help if you can thank you!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Is the filter on tight enough?

Sent from my magic banana
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Yea it's on as tight as I can turn it. I even cleaned the metal ring that makes contact with the filter when screwing it on, I didn't do what most people do and rub a little oil around the ring as well, but would that be a reason why it leaks?

that could be the reason
    did you make sure the rubber ring came off the old filter?

You should always put a little oil on the gasket! That's why its leaking.

P.S. filter should only be hand tight. Good luck getting it back off!

Okay I'm gonna do that then and hopefully that's the only reason I have a leak, yea I tightened it with my hand shouldn't be a problem getting it off thank you guys for the help I really appreciate it!

I Support ClubWRX
    Are you sure the leak is from the interface between the filter and the base on the car? If so, makes sure you remove the old gasket.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

The filter should have a small rubber ring around it...that you rub a little oil on when you tighten it (only hand tight...don't over tighten). If you're contacting metal on metal (meaning you don't have the rubber gasket ring), that might not seal well enough and could cause a leak.

SD brings up a great point though...
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

mine was leaking also. it was from the oil filter housing itself.

aftermarket filters are notorious for leaking, and are the number one reason we see oil leaks in the shop.

I Support ClubWRX
    There was a recall of factory (blue) oil filters for leaking. I own two of the recalled filters now that I think of it.
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

KHP
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    There was a recall of factory (blue) oil filters for leaking. I own two of the recalled filters now that I think of it.
    +1 If you're using OEM blue filters your installed filters may have been recalled.
    2011 WRX Limited Spark Silver (5 Door)

I Support ClubWRX
    I once had an old gasket stick the the mount many years ago - not the the WRX. Fortunately I noticed this before I screwed on the new filter. It is easy to miss.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Made by Fram?

I switched to Purolator PureONE.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    I once had an old gasket stick the the mount many years ago - not the the WRX. Fortunately I noticed this before I screwed on the new filter. It is easy to miss.

Made by Fram?

I switched to Purolator PureONE.
    I suspect so. There are CA and US source filters around and one, but not the other, is recalled, but I don't recall (no pun intended...) which. There's a notice in print around somewhere, with serial numbers.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.