WRX/ STI v2 96 everyday driver?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on WRX/ STI v2 96 everyday driver? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi so I am new to this forum and I do not currently own a wrx but i am in ...

WRX/ STI v2 96 everyday driver?

Hi so I am new to this forum and I do not currently own a wrx but i am in the market to buy one. I am looking at the WRX or STI 95-97 for up to 8k canadian. I plan to use this a s a daily driver. I do not comute far but I drive about 20000km a year so reliability is a concern. Can anyone tell me about reliability and service costs on these? I heard the boxer engine is a pain to work on and apparently from an ex owner transmission needs to be serviced every 10000k and the engine needs to be lifted to do this. I cannot afford massive service costs as I am a student [not broke, a student ].
    Thanks for any help.
    ryan

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Damn i wish we had those in the states.
    Find a low-mileage one-owner unmodified '04/'05 and you're golden.

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
    Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
    Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
    Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

That's the funniest damned ad I've ever read. If nothing else, go get a drink with that guy and see what exactly happened to it when it went to hell and back twice. I'd personally prefer whichever one had the cleanest mainentance record and least amount of mods.

2011 SWP Sedan

Tuned by Keenan @ All Aspects Motorsports / 322WHP / 330 ft/lbs TQ
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...swp-sedan.html

If you're looking for something that is as reliable as you can get for a daily driver, I certainly wouldn't look for a 17 year old used performance car with a lot of miles on the clock...
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

Quote Originally Posted by jeremydingeman View Post
    Damn i wish we had those in the states.
    Oh you dont have these? Thats a god dam shame cause they look awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by D's WRX View Post
    That's the funniest damned ad I've ever read. If nothing else, go get a drink with that guy and see what exactly happened to it when it went to hell and back twice. I'd personally prefer whichever one had the cleanest mainentance record and least amount of mods.
    Haha yeh I want to meet this guy he sounds hilarious. Yeh I want an unmodded low km one just unsure of the actual practicality of it.

If you're looking for something that is as reliable as you can get for a daily driver, I certainly wouldn't look for a 17 year old used performance car with a lot of miles on the clock...

Well thats the question. I know a lot of people that say these cars are solid. I am unsure of this. I mean regular maintenance and replacing small parts like hoses and spark plugs is ndb, but i was wondering on any known faults with these cars. thanks.

Has anyone actually owned one for some time? I want first hand experience advice. thanks.

We didn't get the WRX in the US until late 2001 (2002 model year). STI didn't show up until the 2004 model year.

That being said, there are tons of them still on the roads, with hundreds of thousands of miles on them, albeit getting hard to find in good shape because so many kids are buying them and beating the piss out of them

Like any car...if you take care of it, don't beat on it, and handle the routine maintenance when it's supposed to be done, then there's no reason why it shouldn't last as a daily.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    We didn't get the WRX in the US until late 2001 (2002 model year). STI didn't show up until the 2004 model year.

That being said, there are tons of them still on the roads, with hundreds of thousands of miles on them, albeit getting hard to find in good shape because so many kids are buying them and beating the piss out of them

Like any car...if you take care of it, don't beat on it, and handle the routine maintenance when it's supposed to be done, then there's no reason why it shouldn't last as a daily.
    ah ok thank you. yeh I know a lot of kids want to beat them up I would definatly look after the car I baby my cars im just worried about previous abuse thats all.
    thanks.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.