Oil change at 1000 mile mark?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Oil change at 1000 mile mark? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; i have a 2013 wrx sedan. I've heard a few people say that you should change the oil at the ...

Oil change at 1000 mile mark?

i have a 2013 wrx sedan. I've heard a few people say that you should change the oil at the 1000 mile mark after break in period. the dealer told me to check regularly and not to change it until the scheduled 7500 mile service. what is the best thing for the car? i just reached my 1000 mile mark today and need to know what to do. excuse me if this is a dumb question but i am a noob and will admit that i am new to subarus but definitely in love!

In response to a lot of the comments. Any idea why the dealers say every 7500 miles? U think they would do what is safest since they are covering the car bumper to bumper for 3 yrs.
    Last edited by Ryno17wrx; 05-17-2013 at 12:23 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I would have changed it at the 100 mile mark. But yeah I would change if it is the factory oil and filter.

Sent from my magic banana
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

if i were in your shoes and jut bought a new car it would be changed at 1000, i dont even let my bugeye get up to 7500 miles eek. but after 100 id change it every 4000. but search your feelings or follower your owners manual
    Marky Mark
    2002 Stage 2.3 PSM Bugeye tuned by Matty at WTFtuning
    Bugeye Mafia #397, High Mileage Club, WTF Tuning Intern
    My bugeye build
    MinoskePhotography
    First Mods and other useful info!
    GM EBCS/ Hallman MBC Hybrid boost setup diagram

I changed mine on my '13 at 1800k. Now keep in mind that Subaru now uses synthetic oil from factory. And my dealer uses Castrol Syntec....which is what I would purchase anyway.

^thats what ive been running since ive had my car, castrol full syn 5w30.
    Marky Mark
    2002 Stage 2.3 PSM Bugeye tuned by Matty at WTFtuning
    Bugeye Mafia #397, High Mileage Club, WTF Tuning Intern
    My bugeye build
    MinoskePhotography
    First Mods and other useful info!
    GM EBCS/ Hallman MBC Hybrid boost setup diagram

I Support ClubWRX
    It's certainly not going to hurt to change it. I changed it at 1,000. Ever since then I have been using Amsoil signature series 5w30. It is rated for up to 15,000 miles on a severe service cycle, but I still get it changed every 4,000 miles or so. Probably a waste of money, but it makes me feel good that I am taking care of the car.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruh Roh View Post
    ^thats what ive been running since ive had my car, castrol full syn 5w30.
    I always "felt" that this was the best oil for ME. I used a bunch of various brands of oil and weights before I felt that the Castrol Full Syntec 5w-40 was the best in my bug eye when I had it. No actual data proving that...it just ,again, "felt" right.

I'll most likely be running the Castrol Full Syntec 5w-30 in my 13' until the warranty is up though....just incase ya know?

I changed my oil at 2000 miles. I would have waited longer but I had a long road trip ahead of me and would have went past the mileage. You don't "need" to change it at 1000 miles. But it makes a lot of people feel better to change it early. My car runs perfectly fine
    2013 wrx sedan(saving up for a 2015 STI)

Previous faist cars: '05 Mustang GT '02 RSX-S, '91 SR20 240sx, '85 300zx turbo

Glad I spotted this thread, I am just at 1,500. Probably going to have to rack up a 150-250 more miles this next few days but going to try very hard to get it in asap next week.

Any thoughts on changing out the tranny fluid at this point also, just to be safe on the "getting out the break in junk"??

I changed mine at 500 miles, and have been on a 3500 interval since using only factory oil, filter and crush washers. but when they are free who wouldn't?

I changed mine at 1000 miles. After I had it done (not by my dealer), I called the service department at my local dealership and they said I shouldn't have done that because the oil from the factory has special additives designed for running the engine in. I have no idea how much truth there is to that.
    Last edited by Soobvirgin; 05-16-2013 at 04:30 PM. Reason: smelling pistake

That's it, right here. It's important NOT to change oil too soon because the iron particles in the first oil fill are acting like micro-abrasives necessary for mechanical parts to "grind in". Changing oil too soon shouldn't hurt (there's nothing really special about it, just a lot more micro iron particles), it just extends break-in period for the engine.

Quote Originally Posted by Soobvirgin View Post
    I changed mine at 1000 miles. After I had it done (not by my dealer), I called the service department at my local dealership and they said I shouldn't have done that because the oil from the factory has special additives designed for running the engine in. I have no idea how much truth there is to that.
    "At dawn they sleep..."

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    It's certainly not going to hurt to change it. I changed it at 1,000. Ever since then I have been using Amsoil signature series 5w30. It is rated for up to 15,000 miles on a severe service cycle, but I still get it changed every 4,000 miles or so. Probably a waste of money, but it makes me feel good that I am taking care of the car.
    +1 for amsoil i use it for my bike and car. i just changed it at 3750 and gonna do a change at 7000 and then do it after every 5.

If I need to add oil before I change the oil, is it important to use same exact oil subaru uses in the factory? What is the factory oil they put in the 2013 wrx?

It's regular oil, feel free to add whatever synthetic matches the spec, just don't overfill it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryno17wrx View Post
    If I need to add oil before I change the oil, is it important to use same exact oil subaru uses in the factory? What is the factory oil they put in the 2013 wrx?
    "At dawn they sleep..."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast