05 WRX - Engine Turns Over, Wont attempt to fire

This is a discussion on 05 WRX - Engine Turns Over, Wont attempt to fire within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Today, I was driving down the road on the interstate and I heard a sound under the hood and lost ...

05 WRX - Engine Turns Over, Wont attempt to fire

Today, I was driving down the road on the interstate and I heard a sound under the hood and lost power. Turns out the AC belt popped. Belt was old and due, got lazy.
    This weirdly, does not explain why the engine stopped working and now will turn over, but not start. There is however and intermittent pop in the intercooler and/or exhaust during the cranking process.
    I've started looking into this tonight and wished to get your input on the issue.

2005 Impreza WRX Automatic
    Mileage: 98,372
    Mods: MBC

Damage from belt: Apparently, when it popped it swung around and snapped the wiring going to the AC compressor, (Magnetic clutch I suppose)
    Found bits of the AC belt behind the timing belt cover. (More below)

So I've tested what I could tonight in as much time as I had. These are the steps I've taken so far.
    Basic rules apply:

1. Visual check - No scuff marks on anything. Some belt cord wrapped around crank pulley. Possible more behind.
    Will pull all covers tomorrow and pull pulley to ensure everything clear.

2. MAF check - Plugged or Unplugged, no change.

3. Fuel Pump - Pulled back seat, got close, turns on.
    A. Pulled fuel feed line, turned accessory on, very good pressure. (Will verify with fuel pressure gauge tomorrow)
    B. Clamped fuel return line in case fuel pressure regulator was stuck open. No change. No attempt at firing.

4. Fuel Relay - Pulled kick panel, got close and touched it, clicks on.

5. Timing Belt - Pulled right cover, inspected. Found bits of AC belt behind cover (Not the timing belt). The timing belt is in good shape, teeth in good condition.

6. Fuses - Other than relays, all the fuses were checked and passed visual inspection.

Assumptions: (These have been stated as the mother of all F ups, but you know)

1. Not a battery or starter related issue. Car turns over without issue. Cams and crank moving on attempts to start.
    2. Not an alternator issue. Car would not have stopped running due to alternator.
    3. Not a spark plug issue. Chances of all 4 coil packs failing, very unlikely.

Possibles:
    Crank Position Sensor - Unlikely coincidence, put possible.
    Cam Position Sensor - Unlikely coincidence, put possible.
    Timing - Unlikely at this stage, put possible. (Will see more of the timing belt tomorrow and check lineup marks)
    Ignition Relay - Possible, will find similar relay in car and trade out.

Other tests:
    Getting a OBD2 reader tomorrow and will check for CELs. Always had one before (Right bank - Rich). Might have new ones.

Anything I'm missing, or are my assumptions wrong? Let me know. I appreciate any and all help.
    Last edited by Nemesis.WRX; 05-15-2013 at 10:32 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Did a check this morning to see if the car magically started like others I've read on the forums. No joy.
    Picked up the OBD2 reader today. Going to check for CELs

Not much in new groundbreaking information.

Checked ignition coil relay. Swapped with same model relay from working part of car. No change.

Checked CELs. These codes seem unusual and not pertaining to the actual problem.

P0138 - O2 Sen Circ High Volt (Bank 1 Sen 2)
    P0502 - Vehicle Speed Sen Low Input
    P0503 - Vehicle Speed Sen Intermittent/Erratic/High

Assumption:
    None of these codes will cause the car to not attempt to fire. O2 would start or at least try to fire and fail to continue running. Vehicle Speed would just not allow the speedo to work correctly or cause transmission mis-shifts.

Pulled the crank pulley to expose the timing belt. The broken AC belt was intertweened in the crank pulley and and may have knocked into the crank position sensor. Crank position sensor replaced. No change. Timing belt was incorrectly installed at some point in the previous owners life, 1-2 teeth off on two sprockets. Pulled belt and installed correctly with the markings in the right places. This changed nothing.

Original issue still persists. Running low on ideas.

Things not eliminated:
    ECU
    Fuel Injectors opening (Also ECU)

Going to pull a spark plug after I turn the car over a few times and see if its wet. If its not, I would suspect a problem with the ECU. If it is, then possible spark issue, again pointing to the ECU.

Going to check back in, when I get pull the ignition coil. Any advise would be appreciated.