Today, I was driving down the road on the interstate and I heard a sound under the hood and lost power. Turns out the AC belt popped. Belt was old and due, got lazy.
This weirdly, does not explain why the engine stopped working and now will turn over, but not start. There is however and intermittent pop in the intercooler and/or exhaust during the cranking process.
I've started looking into this tonight and wished to get your input on the issue.
2005 Impreza WRX Automatic
Damage from belt: Apparently, when it popped it swung around and snapped the wiring going to the AC compressor, (Magnetic clutch I suppose)
Found bits of the AC belt behind the timing belt cover. (More below)
So I've tested what I could tonight in as much time as I had. These are the steps I've taken so far.
Basic rules apply:
1. Visual check - No scuff marks on anything. Some belt cord wrapped around crank pulley. Possible more behind.
Will pull all covers tomorrow and pull pulley to ensure everything clear.
2. MAF check - Plugged or Unplugged, no change.
3. Fuel Pump - Pulled back seat, got close, turns on.
A. Pulled fuel feed line, turned accessory on, very good pressure. (Will verify with fuel pressure gauge tomorrow)
B. Clamped fuel return line in case fuel pressure regulator was stuck open. No change. No attempt at firing.
4. Fuel Relay - Pulled kick panel, got close and touched it, clicks on.
5. Timing Belt - Pulled right cover, inspected. Found bits of AC belt behind cover (Not the timing belt). The timing belt is in good shape, teeth in good condition.
6. Fuses - Other than relays, all the fuses were checked and passed visual inspection.
Assumptions: (These have been stated as the mother of all F ups, but you know)
1. Not a battery or starter related issue. Car turns over without issue. Cams and crank moving on attempts to start.
2. Not an alternator issue. Car would not have stopped running due to alternator.
3. Not a spark plug issue. Chances of all 4 coil packs failing, very unlikely.
Crank Position Sensor - Unlikely coincidence, put possible.
Cam Position Sensor - Unlikely coincidence, put possible.
Timing - Unlikely at this stage, put possible. (Will see more of the timing belt tomorrow and check lineup marks)
Ignition Relay - Possible, will find similar relay in car and trade out.
Getting a OBD2 reader tomorrow and will check for CELs. Always had one before (Right bank - Rich). Might have new ones.
Anything I'm missing, or are my assumptions wrong? Let me know. I appreciate any and all help.