WRX '06 Eating up oil, smoke on start up and when flooring it
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on WRX '06 Eating up oil, smoke on start up and when flooring it within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys, First of all, i like to say that this forum has been a great help for me for ...

WRX '06 Eating up oil, smoke on start up and when flooring it

Hey guys,

First of all, i like to say that this forum has been a great help for me for some time.
    I'm the DIY kind of guy, and with some internet help, i've been managing quite well.
    I've got myself an 2006 Impreza WRX 3 years ago. The prev owner tunned it, it's got the big intercooler, the STI size turbo and 1.5 Bars of boost, so we can say it's around 350HP or more. I have no ideea what's been done inside the engine. I got it at 30k Km and now i'm at 90k km.

The car runs well, but it's eating up oil, 1liter at 1500~2000km on average driving aggression, more or less. I know that's nothing to worry about, since it's not giving any other signs of something being wrong. The other thing, at startup when cold, puffs a little white(blueish smoke) out the exhaust, especially if a give a little jolt on the acceleration pedal.

I've decided to try and tackle those problems.
    I want to confirm it's not the head-gasket, but since the temp is always ok, no matter how much i floor it, and no loss of coolant, it's probably not that.
    So i looked for oil in the intercooler and pipes, to see if the turbo seals are the problems for the oil loss or the blue smoke. It wasn't any liquid oil in them, except a bit of black residue on the walls from the exhaust gases. Not that much to make me worry. next step would be a piston ring, or cam seal. I'm using 10w40 castrol in it, it's a bit thiker, i know, but since i have no idea what's inside the engine (maybe forged pistons/rods or maybe stock) i believed it's a good compromise for both possibilities.

I know there are loads of cleaners and engine improvement solutions out there but if i'm on the edge of a bigger problem that would only make it worse, so i don't want to try anything that's irreversible.

What i'm asking from you is that maybe there are some tricks i have't come across yet, to troubleshoot those two issues step by step, with minimal risk.
    Please feel free to add any info.
    Sorry for my english and spelling it's not my first language.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

A compression test should tell you if the piston rings are not properly sealing.
    David - '05 WRX

Removed and cleaned PCV valve, i was in a weak state, worked much better after cleaning it.
    Significantly less smoke at start up, and less smoke when changing gear while in torque.
    Seems to be part of the problem.
    I'll have to see how it will improve the oil consumption so far.

Still in queue with the compression test.

One thing i'm having trouble with:
    When the MAP sensor goes bad, what are the symptoms? I just took it out, cleaned it after i noticed that, while driving, as i stepped on the clutch, the idle holds from 1200rpm and drops as i halt to a complete stop, when it goes back to 800rpm. Shouldn't it go straight to 800RPM even if the car is moving or stationary?
    Also, when idling stationary, it's a bit wired and i get a few backfires.
    Could this be the MAP sensor going bad, or the spark plugs witch are a bit old?

Thanks

I don't see how a sensor will make you burn more oil or not...

Turbo seal or piston rings cracked.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    I don't see how a sensor will make you burn more oil or not...

Turbo seal or piston rings cracked.
    Turbo seals seem to be ok, there's no significant amount of liquid oil in the pipes or in the intercooler, and since i fixed a bad PCV valve issue, should be no more signs of oil in intercooler.

Sorry, the q about the map sensor was off topic.

Sounds like the turbo itself could be the problem. If your pistons all checkout in the compression test I would move on to the turbo next. Internal consumption from excessive heat; bearings or internal seals could be eating the oil.

Here is a similar story to checkout:

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/...ting-fail.html

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by r3mu5 View Post

When the MAP sensor goes bad, what are the symptoms?
    Do you mean MAF sensor? The sensor on the air box is a MAF sensor. The MAP sensor is on the throttlebody and is primarily just used to allow the ECU to reference boost pressure and not fueling/airflow.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    Do you mean MAF sensor? The sensor on the air box is a MAF sensor. The MAP sensor is on the throttlebody and is primarily just used to allow the ECU to reference boost pressure and not fueling/airflow.
    Yes. I was asking about the MAP sensor, controlling the idle speed, witch is high, ~ 1200rpm if i step on the clutch and let it idle while at speed, it goes down to 750~800rpm as a halt to a stop. Heard is was the map sensor, giving false info. Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Delnari View Post
    Sounds like the turbo itself could be the problem. If your pistons all checkout in the compression test I would move on to the turbo next. Internal consumption from excessive heat; bearings or internal seals could be eating the oil.

High Oil Consumption was caused by turbo starting to fail - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
    Thanks for the reference.
    I think so too, since i've fixed the PVC valve, but i still get a small amount of oil in the intercooler and turbo pipes. The only thing left is the turbo spitting oil in the air intake.

What's my best option, a turbo rebuild kit or should i look for a new turbo?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by r3mu5 View Post
    Yes. I was asking about the MAP sensor, controlling the idle speed, witch is high, ~ 1200rpm if i step on the clutch and let it idle while at speed, it goes down to 750~800rpm as a halt to a stop. Heard is was the map sensor, giving false info. Any ideas?
    It is not the MAP sensor that controls idle speed. It is the ECU. And the ECU does not use the MAP sensor to control idle speed. It uses the crank position sensor, CTS,electrical load and the neutral position sensor to determine idle speed.

Sent from my magic banana
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

After replacing the PCV valve, i cleaned the IC pipes, drove it during the day, and in the evening same oil in them.

I think the turbo shaft and/or the seals might be going out. I'm afraid my engine will start running on oil and blow up, so i'm looking to fix the turbo problem.

The thing is, i don't know what kind of turbo i have on it. I know it's a IHI turbo, There's also S47D stamped on it, might be the model #, googled it but nothing.
    I hope someone can help me identify what it is so i can search for a rebuild kit or a replacement, and if i have to replace it i won't need a remap.

Help!

After replacing the PCV valve, i cleaned the IC pipes, drove it during the day, and in the evening same oil in them.

I think the turbo shaft and/or the seals might be going out. I'm afraid my engine will start running on oil and blow up, so i'm looking to fix the turbo problem.

The thing is, i don't know what kind of turbo i have on it. I know it's a IHI turbo, There's also S47D stamped on it, might be the model #, googled it but nothing.
    I hope someone can help me identify what it is so i can search for a rebuild kit or a replacement, and if i have to replace it i won't need a remap.

Help!

High Oil Consumption was caused by turbo starting to fail - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums
    Hmmm, maybe this could be the issue...

Hmmm, maybe this could be the issue...
    Yep, Read it, i think i have the same problem.
    Thing is, i can't take the turbo out of the car, since i use it to drive arround. I know i have the IHI turbo on it, I think it's the VF34.
    Is there a way to find out for sure, without taking it out?

I Support ClubWRX
    It says what it is right on the compressor housing. Should be laser etched

Sent from my magic banana
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast