WRX '06 Eating up oil, smoke on start up and when flooring it - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on WRX '06 Eating up oil, smoke on start up and when flooring it within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys, Just took out the turbo (have to say it was one of the worst pain with the oil ...

Hey guys,

Just took out the turbo (have to say it was one of the worst pain with the oil and coolant pipes, and putting it back on must be even harder).

This is what i found:

- There was oil in the compressor housing (not that much, i left it on it's side and started draining out)
    - Oil in the rubber air hose coming from the air filter (no liquid oil, only deposits on the walls)
    - It has very less side to side play in the turbo shaft, doesn't reach the housing sides.
    - But has loads of play in the shaft from back to front.

Are those normal? or the turbo has gone south for the summer...(seems to me)
    It's a VF34, i heard there are no rebuild kits for them, right?

Any suggestions for DIY on mounting it back, maybe with pics or video (a good one).

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Wait, oil in the inlet pipe??? Loads of play at least is not normal. I wouldn't put it back on. I'd replace it with a used VF39 or VF43...if you can't find another VF34 back on there.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Wait, oil in the inlet pipe??? Loads of play at least is not normal. I wouldn't put it back on. I'd replace it with a used VF39 or VF43...if you can't find another VF34 back on there.
    Geez..Not that much play, it doesn't rattle when running.
    Side to side play, slightly... I have to stress it a bit with my fingers to feel the play (after fiddling with it i noticed i sometimes barely touches the sides a bit of scratch noise, but i'm not sure of it, it's my first time i got my hands any kind of turbo that's not mounted on engine). In and out play much more than side to side. But there was no oil in the hot side, nothing at all (could have got burned up), all the oil was in the compressor side.

I was thinking about cleaning it out, pour some oil tough the oil intake (maybe with some pressure) and see where it leaks from. Right?

My breathers are still in the air intake, but could a GOOD PCV Valve pour that much oil in the turbo, pipes and intercooler in a couple hundred Km, no matter how hard i drive it?

I don't want to change the turbo type because i can't remap it. It was mapped in Germany, and it is very well done, and from where i'm from i don't know anyone who could mach that, or whom i can trust with it.

If i put in the VF39 of VF 43 would it need a remap?

I would think it's the turbo, you have to remember the temperature inside is going to burn anything that gets in it up quick? as far as the oil in the inlet, how many miles on the motor?

Yes you would have to remap. The turbos aren't too different, but you'll want to get it looked over to make sure you're running properly.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    Oil in the turbo inlet and compressor housing is normal considering the PCV system vents back into it. This is why people run catch cans.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Quote Originally Posted by pauvil View Post
    I would think it's the turbo, you have to remember the temperature inside is going to burn anything that gets in it up quick? as far as the oil in the inlet, how many miles on the motor?
    it's got 90.000 km on it (57.000 miles). i've had it since 18.000miles and i've taking good care of it. i don't know how many miles on the turbo, since it wasn't factory (being a wrx originaly). the prev owner modified it, put the vf34 ihi turbo on it. don't know if it was a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    Oil in the turbo inlet and compressor housing is normal considering the PCV system vents back into it. This is why people run catch cans.
    i understand that. but i replaced the pcv valve, cleaned the pipes and intercooler, took it for a ride (100miles) went back to the garrage, took out the intercooler and again it was oil in it. not just a splash, liquid oil. in the air intake right where the pcv dumps, not that much.

Help

I just swapped the turbo.
    Got a new VF34, mounted it. Primed it like i should have.
    But when i fired it up, there were tons of white smoke out the exhaust.
    It's building no boost what so ever! At 3000RPM and it's still showing vacuum.
    WHAT NOW?!

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Did you finish your compression test? What were the results?
    2015 CWP WRX STi on order ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax' Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    The REAL 'WTF Tuning?!' Progenitor
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero | Blobeye Synd. #Tree-Fiddy
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Removed and cleaned PCV valve, i think you should go with a compression test that should tell you if the piston rings are not properly sealing.
    If your pistons all checkout in the compression test then you would move on to the turbo to have a better result.
    Last edited by skyRose; 11-21-2013 at 10:18 PM.
    There's no art to find the mind's construction in the face

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12