Wastegate, BOV, or leak?

This is a discussion on Wastegate, BOV, or leak? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'm pretty new to turbo charged vehicles and the noises they make. I'm at 7,000 miles on my 13 WRX ...

Wastegate, BOV, or leak?

I'm pretty new to turbo charged vehicles and the noises they make. I'm at 7,000 miles on my 13 WRX and I've started noticing a chirp or squeak noise when I get into boost. Since it seems to occur before I let off the throttle, I was thinking this might be the wastegate I'm hearing? The noise may have been there since day 1, but I am just now noticing it.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Could be the wastegate.. I've heard them chirp before.

I Support ClubWRX
    Most people will say bring it too the dealer your car is under warranty also just a kind FYI if it still stock technically its a BPV (Bypass Valve)
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by cflip2x View Post
    FYI if it still stock technically its a BPV (Bypass Valve)

I think technically it's a recirculating blow off valve, or recirculating bypass valve. I have seen the two terms used interchangeably from several different manufacturers. Subaru uses the term BPV, but that's pretty vague without specifying whether it is atmospheric or recirculating since several companies do sell BPVs that vent to atmosphere.

Most people will say bring it too the dealer your car is under warranty also just a kind FYI if it still stock technically its a BPV (Bypass Valve)
    My bad. You can tell I'm new to this I will probably take it to the dealer next week when I get back home. Before that, do you guys think I could detect a leak with data logging? I would imagine I could look for retarded timing or less than target boost on wot? Or... does the ECU only report the target boost and not the true boost?

I Support ClubWRX
    Thanks for the correction MainFrame. Well as long as it doesn't vent to atmosphere. My 12 developed a slight leak from the intercooler to the throttle body hose (just a little loose hose). I didnt loose any power but it did sound like like i had an intake installed. I felt comfortable removing the intercooler and tightening up the hose so I didnt bother with brining it the the dealer. Do you have the cables for data logging?
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

Thanks for the correction MainFrame. Well as long as it doesn't vent to atmosphere. My 12 developed a slight leak from the intercooler to the throttle body hose (just a little loose hose). I didnt loose any power but it did sound like like i had an intake installed. I felt comfortable removing the intercooler and tightening up the hose so I didnt bother with brining it the the dealer. Do you have the cables for data logging?
    I have a Bluetooth adapter that I use with the Torque app for android. Its probably not as ideal as a laptop and a cable, but it seems to work pretty well. I just requires a little cleanup in excel later. Here is some data that I was playing with back in Feb.

Here are some logs from last week. I still haven't taken it in to have it looked at. I'm starting to think its not a problem though. After some more playing, it seems to only occur when pulling hard in 2nd and letting off after shifting to 3rd. Maybe I am hearing the bypass valve..... Peak boost, timing advance, and air/fuel all seem to match my February data.