Whoosh when under boost.. No power..

This is a discussion on Whoosh when under boost.. No power.. within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Wife and i went out tonight, and the drive home was a little spirited. Took some back roads and got ...

Whoosh when under boost.. No power..

Wife and i went out tonight, and the drive home was a little spirited. Took some back roads and got on it a little. While i was winding down to cool off the engine a bit, i noticed that the turbo sounded louder than normal. Whenever i built boost, it made a loud whoosh, but there was no power behind it. I'm assuming its a boost leak.. But i don't see anything loose. Its a base 12 wrx, stock.
    im sure i shouldn't drive it in for service..
    Any input would be appreciated.. I would like to know what's up before i bring it in.
    Sorry if i left out any details.. It just happened and I'm pretty bummed out.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome to owning a turbo car. You probably have a major boost leak. Maybe your BPV failed and just leaks out all your boosties. Without logs and anything being obviously loose, it's really hard to tell. I'd take it in for service, it's still under warranty right?
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

Take it to the dealer but if I had to guess I'd say you blew the hose connecting the intercooler to the throttlebody off. To fix you have to take the intercooler off, put the hose back on the throttlebody and tighten the worm clam down. Very common problem on 08+
    2012 DGM 5 DOOR WRX
    Mods: Stage 2+
    "I live my life a twelve year old at a time. For those ten seconds or less, I'm free."
    Official ClubWRX Creeper

Yeah, its under warranty.. Its only a year old with about 3300 miles.
    I'll pull the IC wheni get home from work and see what i can see.
    I that gets me no where I'll get it to the dealer. My only question about that would be to have it towed, or is it safe to drive?

Just stay out of boost. But 99% sure thats your problem.
    2012 DGM 5 DOOR WRX
    Mods: Stage 2+
    "I live my life a twelve year old at a time. For those ten seconds or less, I'm free."
    Official ClubWRX Creeper

Maus has made a rare appearance by actually posting instead of just sitting in chat...and he's right.

I, along with many other 3rd gen owners, have had the same issue. If you google "throttle body intercooler leak wrx" you'll find many threads on the internets about this issue, including some DIY ways to fix it "better." I elected to have the dealership fix it whilst still under warranty, but if it happens again once I'm out of the warranty I will be following one of those DIYs to tighten that connection.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

If its something as simple as pulling the IC and popping a hose back on, I'd rather handle it by myself, and get it on tighter since it seems to be an issue. I've only got 3300 miles on it, so I'm sure its going to come up again. I'd also like to get to know my car under the hood a little better.
    I'm getting anxious to get home so i can start tinkering!

Quote Originally Posted by RichD514 View Post
    If its something as simple as pulling the IC and popping a hose back on, I'd rather handle it by myself, and get it on tighter since it seems to be an issue. I've only got 3300 miles on it, so I'm sure its going to come up again. I'd also like to get to know my car under the hood a little better.
    I'm getting anxious to get home so i can start tinkering!
    From what I understand there's a funky coupler involved that is a P.O.S. Basically I think people have eliminated the coupler and used a better clamp to get the hose on the TB/IC directly.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Sure enough, the hose blew off of the TB! Pretty easy fix... But of course it couldn't be the IC side of the hose. I'm going to look into a better fix.. But for now its drivable.
    I hope i didn't suck too much junk into the engine, but i only drive it about a mile so i don't think i should be worried.

Thanks for the help! :beer: