Bottom DP bolt seized onto turbo flange stud
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Bottom DP bolt seized onto turbo flange stud within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; 04 wrx, doing some maintenance, and one of the things I'm doing is getting rid of that awful idea of ...

Bottom DP bolt seized onto turbo flange stud

04 wrx, doing some maintenance, and one of the things I'm doing is getting rid of that awful idea of a catted up pipe. However, while taking the downpipe bolts off, the last one to get off is seized to the stud that's threaded into the turbo. The specific nut I'm talking about (if your underneath looking up at the DP) it's the bottom right nut. I have used pb blaster and a propane torch, all attempts have failed, I cannot get a socket or even the box end of a wrench on this nut, can only get the open end of the wrench of the nut, due to the bellmouth design of the DP. It is starting to round a little and for now I just soaked the crap out of it and I'm gonna let it sit overnight, then pb it some more tomorrow, but does anyone else have any ideas I haven't thought of yet. Car is in my pretty decent size storage unit with all of my tools, but the storage unit does not have any power plugs or anything. So working in there kind of sucks cause I can't use any air powered or electric powered tools(unless cordless) sorry for the essay of a question but I just wanted to be thorough so I can get some helpful advice.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Also yes I've done research and all said to pb blast or use a torch, done both so far to no avail. I would rather not have to buy a dremmel cause I'm on a tight budget right now

This method may be your best bet since you don't have access for an impact gun:

Relief Cuts- This method is my “sure-fire” method for removing most stripped bolts/nuts. It isn’t as clean/civilized as the others, but it is a heck of a lot faster! With this method you will be putting 2-3 cuts in the bolt head or nut. You want to cut just enough that you are almost all the way through the head of the bolt or the nut. You then can hit the cuts with a chisel and a hammer a few times, thus splitting the nut or bolt and relieving the tension on them. With nuts you can normally just split it off of the bolt, clean up the threads, and install a new nut. With bolts you can use some locking jaw pliers to grab the bolt head and turn the bolt out, usually the relief cuts will let the pliers squeeze the head of the bolt enough that you can turn it out easily.

Ya I've done this before on bolts in more accessible locations, didn't think about that for this thanks for reminding me, gotta run back to my storage unit I think i might have a small cordless dremmel I can just charge tonight, just remembered I do have one

I've had some issues like that what I've done is after you have soaked with pb and let it set once you go to take it off turn it clock wise so to break the bond the corrosion has on it . Sometimes you wi ll here it crack a little then turn it to loosen it up.it has helped me before. I hope it will work for you. Good lick

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Buy a new turbo stud and replace.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

Alright, thanks guys, I appreciate it

I Support ClubWRX
    PB sucks. Find some Deep Creep. Works 10x better.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Do they sell it at parts stores? I have never heard of it

I Support ClubWRX
    That's odd, I was able to get a socket around all of those bolts. I'd have to check again, but I thought the bottom left bolt on the downpipe flange was the "bolt of death". I was lucky enough to have everything spin free with shot of PB, though.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

Sweet, my local auto zone sells it, I'll pick it up and give it a shot before the dremmel method, thank you

Ranbo- when I did the turbo back back in January the bottom right bolt was the only one that gave me a hard time, the nut seized to the stud and threaded the stud out of the turbo housing, making a poor choice I swapped the exhaust out and put the stud(wih seized bolt) back into its place getting it tight, I can't get a socket on it bc of the bellmouth design on the invidious v3 down pipe, also the down pipe is hei wrapped
    Last edited by DD04wagon; 05-04-2013 at 08:14 AM.

On the stock DP you can get a socket on all 5, but some aftermarket bellmouth housing only allow an open-ended wrench to get there.

^^^ that is correct

vice grips and a hammer!!!! i just did my downpipe got very lucky that mine were easy. when you put the new one on tighten the bolts like a tire jump across so you dont end up with lose bolts

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast