HELP! High Idle After Cleaning Throttle Body!
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on HELP! High Idle After Cleaning Throttle Body! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So i took my TB off today and cleaned it and after putting everything back together the car is idling ...

HELP! High Idle After Cleaning Throttle Body!

So i took my TB off today and cleaned it and after putting everything back together the car is idling at 1500-1800rpm and the check engine light is on... I'm worried about driving it so i didn't take it to autozone to have the code read.

Anybody have any idea what could be causing this?

The car is a 2007 WRX TR.
    2007 Obsidian Black Pearl WRX TR
    3" Catless TBE, Protune, Tein Springs, TurboXs MBC, Apexi Turbo Timer.
    HawkEye Alliance #187
    Vote for my group UNTAM3D's new single "Gotta Go" to get rotation on 96.1 FM Radio!
    VOTE FOR US NOW!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Leak, probably. I'm betting you didn't change the gasket like you should have.

You'll need a new one if you didn't: 16175AA243

It's either a leak, or the valve is stuck open a bit. How did you go about cleaning it?
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Anub1s View Post
    Leak, probably. I'm betting you didn't change the gasket like you should have.

You'll need a new one if you didn't: 16175AA243

It's either a leak, or the valve is stuck open a bit. How did you go about cleaning it?
    I took the TB off, sprayed the inside with TB cleaner and wiped it down with a soft microfiber cloth. Re-installed.

I forgot to include that my boost gauge is reading -20 into the vacuum side.

Vacuum leak maybe?
    HawkEye Alliance #187
    Vote for my group UNTAM3D's new single "Gotta Go" to get rotation on 96.1 FM Radio!
    VOTE FOR US NOW!

I Support ClubWRX
    20 inHg is what it should be. Just FYI,you don't have to remove the TB to clean it. Try resetting your ECU and see if that helps. But honestly the DTC would tell you exactly what the problem is. Are you sure you plugged the TB harness back in all the way?
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    20 inHg is what it should be. Just FYI,you don't have to remove the TB to clean it. Try resetting your ECU and see if that helps. But honestly the DTC would tell you exactly what the problem is. Are you sure you plugged the TB harness back in all the way?
    I checked and double checked and it is plugged in all the way. I started it to let it warm up and it's idling normal now but the check engine light is still on.
    HawkEye Alliance #187
    VOTE FOR US NOW!

after cleaning your throttle body its going to idle high for a while. the ecu will reset itself after the zero point calibration is set. just to be sure though check hoses and lines around that area that may have been left off or knocked off

the CEL will be on until your clear the code too. Some codes will reset itself, some won't. a vacuum hose normally wouldn't set off the CEL though.
    just by chance you didn't disconnect your MAF sensor and then forget to plug it back in before starting it did you?

Quote Originally Posted by nsibanez View Post
    the CEL will be on until your clear the code too. Some codes will reset itself, some won't. a vacuum hose normally wouldn't set off the CEL though.
    just by chance you didn't disconnect your MAF sensor and then forget to plug it back in before starting it did you?
    Naw, didn't touch the maf. Car seems to be fine now other than the fans not wanting to kick on for more than a few seconds at a time. I doubt that's related tho. I just had my radiator replaced and I don't think they reset the ecu.
    HawkEye Alliance #187
    VOTE FOR US NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by INTA:LECT View Post
    Naw, didn't touch the maf. Car seems to be fine now other than the fans not wanting to kick on for more than a few seconds at a time. I doubt that's related tho. I just had my radiator replaced and I don't think they reset the ecu.
    Take off negative terminal on battery for about an hour and that should clear any ECU problems. The fans not staying on sounds like your new radiator is just flowing well.
    '14 SWP STI

Quote Originally Posted by AFP520 View Post
    Take off negative terminal on battery for about an hour and that should clear any ECU problems. The fans not staying on sounds like your new radiator is just flowing well.
    Or pop the neg. terminal and pump the brakes for about 20-30 seconds and reconnect. Does the same thing in a lot less time
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

Check the tension on the cruise control/throttle cable. Too tight+heat will cause it to idle high.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by UEDan View Post
    Check the tension on the cruise control/throttle cable. Too tight+heat will cause it to idle high.
    He has a Drive By Wire throttlebody.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Woops. Nevermind. Too much tech for me here. Laters!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.