Engine Break In
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Engine Break In within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So just got the call from the dealership my car made the May boat so it should be here in ...

Engine Break In

So just got the call from the dealership my car made the May boat so it should be here in a couple weeks!! They weren't lying when the said 8-12 weeks it will be here probably either week 12 or week 13. So as the title implies I know to follow the owners manual don't rev. above 4k, vary engine speed, gentle on everything for the first 1k ect. I understand that. What do you think about "setting" the piston rings to the cylinder wall? I have read that in the first 20 miles the car needs WOT in a high gear at low speeds to build pressure to "set"the piston rings to the cylinder walls. I have read that this will substantially reduce oil blow by in the future and lead to greater longevity of the motor. Any thoughts or opinions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    The rings should be seated by the time you pick it up. I wouldn't worry about it. A little boost (~5psi-10psi) will be fine, and engine breaking is good to clean the cylinder walls. Other than that, stick with everything you already mentioned and you'll be just fine.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by cmayba View Post
    What do you think about "setting" the piston rings to the cylinder wall? I have read that in the first 20 miles the car needs WOT in a high gear at low speeds to build pressure to "set"the piston rings to the cylinder walls. I have read that this will substantially reduce oil blow by in the future and lead to greater longevity of the motor. Any thoughts or opinions?
    Plenty of thoughts and opinions. They are generally worthless though in my view because the people that have the most experience with designing, assembling, and supporting Subaru motors are... Subaru. Once somebody offers a 60K warranty with their break-in advice (extendable to 100K as a service contract in essence) I'll start listening.

If there are no data, there is no value.

Now, to be fair, I've heard of new motors failing. I've yet to see someone conclusively tie failures or even oil use later on in motor life with factory-specified break-in though. It's all exactly what you said, opinions. They're interesting but I'd follow the maker if it were my car.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Common sense is the best guideline to follow. My only suggestion to what the owner's manual says is to be as smooth as you can. Smooth runs up and down the rev band using low to moderate engine loads, low boost only (5 lbs, and not often) was what I did for the first 500 miles.

From then on I kept the boost low, and would occasionally rev to 4 or 5k when it could be done smoothly at low loads. I made the increases of rpm and load progressive as I put more miles on it.

Now, approaching 7000 miles.....I still try and be smooth when I open it up. I don't think there is any problem with giving the car a good run, but I try not to beat on my equipment.
    2013 Ice Silver Premium 5 door - Stage 1 E-Tune

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    The rings should be seated by the time you pick it up. I wouldn't worry about it. A little boost (~5psi-10psi) will be fine, and engine breaking is good to clean the cylinder walls. Other than that, stick with everything you already mentioned and you'll be just fine.
    Yo does Subaru use a specific oil for the break in period? Such as a break in oil.

Quote Originally Posted by frenziedcage View Post
    Yo does Subaru use a specific oil for the break in period? Such as a break in oil.
    What's already in the crankcase...

The break in period listed in the owner's manual only applies for the first 1,000 miles to my knowledge.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by XRedJar View Post
    I try not to beat on my equipment.
    You have to beat the equipment once in a while.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by frenziedcage View Post

No.. as far as I know they ship with standard Subaru Synthetic already in there.

St. Louis Metro East, on the Illinois side, but not the really bad Illinois side, but also not the really good side.
    You can play with it a little. Revving the engine to 4k isn't that bad. I've almost tapped 5k, on accident, but I generally drive mine pretty easy. I'm at 400 miles now and I've already hit a few back roads. You can still have fun in the car with a light foot.

Quote Originally Posted by cmayba View Post
    So just got the call from the dealership my car made the May boat so it should be here in a couple weeks!! They weren't lying when the said 8-12 weeks it will be here probably either week 12 or week 13.
    I ordered mine in march so im hopin that it made the boat as well!

Quote Originally Posted by N/atoboosted View Post
    I ordered mine in march so im hopin that it made the boat as well!
    Feb. 22nd was when i ordered mine the anticipation is killing me

I bought my car in 2002. During the test drive I really pushed the car hard. I was scaring the salesman a little bit. SInce then I have driven the car hard and have had no issues. 116k miles of mostly city driving. Treat the car with respect but also drive it like it was meant to be driven. Also stay away from 5w30 oils.
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

That's why I ordered one, I beat the snot outta the one on the lot.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.