turbo/downpipe gasket
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on turbo/downpipe gasket within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi Everyone. Just curious how many people replace the turbo/downpipe gasket each time you remove the downpipe for any reason... ...

I Support ClubWRX

turbo/downpipe gasket

Hi Everyone. Just curious how many people replace the turbo/downpipe gasket each time you remove the downpipe for any reason...

I put a new downpipe (turboxs) on and still have the old gasket in there (because it looked fine), but I purchased an OEM subaru replacement just to have on hand. I am going to be taking the DP off again soon to hook up my WBo2 again, and if it makes sense I will toss the new gasket on there while I am at it. I figure it would be better to put it on there while it is off than to have to do it all over again if I had a leak later on. Haven't noticed any leaks since the install.

Thanks. (2011 STI sedan).

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

At a junction such as that, I'd replace it every time. It does a lot of heat cycling, so putting back an already used gasket might not complete the seal. That is one place I would be certain to try and avoid exhaust leaks. So like you said, may as well avoid having to do it again IF you did have a leak. $15 for peace of mind.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

I Support ClubWRX
    Yep that is what I was leaning toward!

As stated above it's worth it for peace of mind. If you want to go by the book, yes replace the gasket (especially for hot connections) every time you disconnect. Realistically you can normally save the gasket. FYI I am a test engineer for diesel engine components and we frequently have the operators reuse gaskets when we dont want to wait for new parts (downtime is $$$$).
    '13 WRX Limited PBP hatch
    2012 Suzuki V-Strom 650 Adventure

i reused mine because i forgot to order a new one... *insert confession bear meme here*

everytime i do something like that now i order new gaskets. no leaks from there which is good.
    Marky Mark
    2002 Stage 2.3 PSM Bugeye tuned by Matty at WTFtuning
    Bugeye Mafia #397, High Mileage Club, WTF Tuning Intern
    My bugeye build
    MinoskePhotography
    First Mods and other useful info!
    GM EBCS/ Hallman MBC Hybrid boost setup diagram

I Support ClubWRX
    Replacing is ideal. If I have one handy, I'll replace it. If it hasn't been used for too long, I can sometimes recreate the lip on the gasket, and can reuse it. If the lip is unable to be recreated, I will get a new gasket.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah I swung into the dealership and picked up a new one. I was surprised the turbo back exhaust didn't come with one, but the old gasket looked fine (at the time of initial install). Since I will be taking the down pipe back out to add my WBo2 sensor it will be the perfect time to add that new gasket. This will be the third time the gasket is being used (took off stock DP to add WBo2, took off when I put the new DP on, and now will be taking off to re-install the WBo2). Probably better safe than run into a leak after.

Thanks again!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi
    Yeah I swung into the dealership and picked up a new one. I was surprised the turbo back exhaust didn't come with one, but the old gasket looked fine (at the time of initial install). Since I will be taking the down pipe back out to add my WBo2 sensor it will be the perfect time to add that new gasket. This will be the third time the gasket is being used (took off stock DP to add WBo2, took off when I put the new DP on, and now will be taking off to re-install the WBo2). Probably better safe than run into a leak after.

Thanks again!
    A leak at that junction will cause your WBO2 readings to be off.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.