What do you do every oil change?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on What do you do every oil change? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So as the title states, what else does everyone do as long as their oil changes? In the servie book ...

What do you do every oil change?

So as the title states, what else does everyone do as long as their oil changes? In the servie book it states a few other things as well as changing the oil and oil filter every XX miles. (I say XX because the big questionable intervals, I just mean every time u service it). I change the oil, oil filter, and rotate the tires every 2.5k miles, is there anything else I should be doing also? Please let me know!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

i change mine every 4.5k miles with castrol gtx 5w-30 and purolator "yellow" (think its the premium or pure one filter). but i always fill up my oil filter with some oil and put some around the o ring of the filter.
    Marky Mark
    2002 Stage 2.3 PSM Bugeye tuned by Matty at WTFtuning
    Bugeye Mafia #397, High Mileage Club, WTF Tuning Intern
    My bugeye build
    MinoskePhotography
    First Mods and other useful info!
    GM EBCS/ Hallman MBC Hybrid boost setup diagram

Quote Originally Posted by Ruh Roh View Post
    i change mine every 4.5k miles with castrol gtx 5w-30 and purolator "yellow" (think its the premium or pure one filter). but i always fill up my oil filter with some oil and put some around the o ring of the filter.
    I use the same oil and the same technique haha, but do you grease anything, or anything like that?

When I had my bug eye I used the same. Great stuff. I'll probably use the same for my '13 when it comes time.

I Support ClubWRX
    2,5K is a waste of your time, money, and resources. I change less frequently for motorcycles, much less a car with a 5 l sump.

Some time after 5K miles and usually before 7,5K I'll change the oil, do only what's scheduled in the book while the oil drains, and that's it.

Intervals and fluid types: If you are under warranty follow the book. If you are no longer under warranty then follow the book. Or, follow the book.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike193 View Post
    I use the same oil and the same technique haha, but do you grease anything, or anything like that?
    nah but today i may rotate my tires and soon i want to go with a grease gun and lube all the grease fittings. you can always go under and make sure everything is torqued to spec if youre bored
    Marky Mark
    My bugeye build
    MinoskePhotography

nah but today i may rotate my tires and soon i want to go with a grease gun and lube all the grease fittings. you can always go under and make sure everything is torqued to spec if youre bored
    It's not that I'm bored, I'm just a younger (really younger) guy and I dont know much at all, so I like to become familiar with all this kind of stuff, and I love to learn and figure out exactly how things work best and what effects the way they work and stuff like that, it just seems fun and interesting to me.

Quick question, a grease gun is that just like a caulk gun almost, or is it the one that pops onto that little nipple fitting and u pump the grease into it? I want to get one of these, I saw a tech use it while I was at my internship but wasnt too sure exactly what it did and/or if I needed to use it to often (I would have asked the tech, but i literally ask what everything I dont know is, so after asking like 30 things i begin to hold back on asking about stuff that seems simple.

grease gun is the one that pops on the nipple and pumps in grease
    Marky Mark
    My bugeye build
    MinoskePhotography

I Support ClubWRX
    The chassis does not need greasing.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

grease gun is the one that pops on the nipple and pumps in grease
    Understood, thank you for clarifying.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    The chassis does not need greasing.
    idk if there are any grease points but just an idea. cant remember if there are any
    Marky Mark
    My bugeye build
    MinoskePhotography

I now clean my MAF with specific MAF cleaner every oil change on all my cars. Keeps the fuel mileage up and helps with making sure my computer map is doing it's job correctly with good sensor readings.

i clean the MAF every now and then...but my torque spec is also just "good n tight..""
    Marky Mark
    My bugeye build
    MinoskePhotography

Clean my wife's MAF in her SUV for the first time after 1 year of driving; 38K miles (she's a road warrior) and saw her gas mileage increase by 4 mpg on the highway; higher than when it was after the 3,000 break-in point.

Subaru says 7500 for the '12 so I just shoot for 1/2 that. So about every 4k. As with many of the others here, I use Castrol gtx 5W-30. For filters, I use the Subaru OEM. Costs just over $30 for Oil + Filter + new crush seal for the plug.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast