camshaft position sensor problem

This is a discussion on camshaft position sensor problem within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I recently got a CE light code and it threw me the code P0340 and it says camshaft position sensor ...

camshaft position sensor problem

I recently got a CE light code and it threw me the code P0340 and it says camshaft position sensor A circuit bank 1 or single sensor. I have a 02 Subaru wrx impreza. I recently ordered a new sensor, but I would like to know what the problem could be. Also, I'm having a hard time identifying where the camshaft position sensor is at. Can someone please pinpoint the location for me? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    have you had a timing belt replaced lately?

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

I recently bought the car last year in October. No, I haven't touched my timing belt. Could it be the belt? I thought it would just be a bad sensor.

I Support ClubWRX
    The sensor is on the driver side behind the intake cam pulley. Could be a bad sensor or maybe the face of it needs to be cleaned off. It is an electro magnetic trigger.

Sent from my magic banana
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    The sensors do fail, so it might just be as simple as that.

I found it, thanks guys! Also, I was running a type rs bov, but I just threw the stock back on because it always backfire and I didn't like the smell. Ever since I threw the type rs bov on, I'll always idle at 500 rpm, while I'm at a complete stop. So I decided to throw the stock bov back on and wanted see if it'll still idle at 500 rpm, while I'm at a complete stopped. I'm still idling at 500 rpm while the car is stopped. Could the camshaft position sensor be causing this? Meaning that the sensor is no good?? I only cleaned the sensor out today. Please help, thanks!
    Last edited by SubaruWRX91; 04-29-2013 at 01:07 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SubaruWRX91 View Post
    But since I threw the stock one back on to see if it i'll go back to 0 rpm, while I'm stopped. I'm still idling at 500 rpm while I'm stop.
    This is a sequence of contradictory statements.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Could be a number of things..

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC