2003 WRX - P0420 Code and Exhaust Noise After MAF Replacement
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 2003 WRX - P0420 Code and Exhaust Noise After MAF Replacement within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi guys, I've got a 2003 WRX with 92K miles and a 100% stock exhaust system. I had my vehicle ...

2003 WRX - P0420 Code and Exhaust Noise After MAF Replacement

Hi guys,

I've got a 2003 WRX with 92K miles and a 100% stock exhaust system. I had my vehicle diagnosed by a shop after it deadlined on the highway recently. The shop told me my MAF failed and replaced it. After getting the car back I noticed that the vehicle sounds louder at idle, but it is not idling high. After driving about 10-15 miles I got the Cat Converter efficiency code (P0420). I cleared it only to have it return 50 miles later.

Any suggestions on how to approach this? I've performed a visual inspection of the exhaust system and from the external view nothing appears to be incorrectly installed/missing. Do I need to pull the MAF out and inspect it?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I don't think the MAF would be giving you a PO420 frankly. Best bet is to take it back to the shop at this point. I'd check the wiring to the O2 sensor for a short, fault, or disconnected clip first though.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Ok, sounds like a good place to start. In your experience, can a missing/damaged/failing 02 sensor cause an increase in exhaust noise? I would almost think there would have to be a corrosion hole, failing, or incorrectly installed seal to cause that.

I Support ClubWRX
    Yes a hole or leak would do it.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    The P0420 code is for the rear o2 sensor. Free flowing exhaust with no mechanical DTC fix or engine management will cause the code as will a failing sensor or leaky exhaust.

Sent from my magic banana
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.